Lenovo CPU max temps?

genthug

Commendable
Mar 20, 2016
I have a Lenovo Thinkpad W541:
i7 4710MQ
Quadro K2100m
16Gb RAM

I'm a student at an engineering school, and I have to use CAD in some of my courses. Noticed today that my laptop has a "high performance mode", so I switched that on and got HWMonitor. I'm sure this has happened before as I was playing some light games on the computer, but I'm going to ask to make sure.

What are safe temps for my laptop? Specifically for my CPU. It's currently sitting at 75C, and under load while I'm watching twitch and doing CAD, it can hit upper 80s. This is with the fan in the machine kicking up high, and with a 4 fan cooling pad underneath it. I just bought a laptop CPU cooler to hopefully aid it, but I wanted to know when I should be really worried.

Solution
No problems at all. It has a max temp of 100c. My older i7-2670QM has a max temp of 100c as well, has been running at 80-85c for the past 5 years and still I am having no troubles with it.

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
No problems at all. It has a max temp of 100c. My older i7-2670QM has a max temp of 100c as well, has been running at 80-85c for the past 5 years and still I am having no troubles with it.

Solution

Gingerbread

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
No problems, and by the way if it used to run cooler, then you might consider reapplying thermal paste and cleaning it at some point (it's good to reapply the paste at least once every 2 years and your laptop should be 2 years old already), though lenovo uses good thermal pastes (or at least used to), my laptop's paste was not dry and still almost fully functional when I opened it after 5 years of usage.