Lenovo E520 Screen problem, Black screen and Backlight is lit up,but no actuall picture. But works on external monitor however

Chris_wynne

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
Hi All, I really would appreciate if anyone can help me out here.
The Problem:
Lenovo E520 Screen problem, Black screen and Backlight is lit up,but no actual picture(basically a bright black screen. I can confirm it works fine via a plugged in monitor works on external monitor however. Also I can confirm that the screen and ribbon cable work 100% as I managed to lend another e520 just to test this, so I can confirm this is not the screen.
Thank you very much in advance
Chris

Solution
if screen & cable works on the other laptop then it is a motherboard issue but not the onboard video which works with external monitor. try the other laptop's screen & cable to see if does same thing as yours.
Hi,

Since it's working just fine using an external monitor it narrows down the problem with the display itself.
- Start by trying if your built in display will work, press the Windows key + P at the same time and select Display Only and see if the display will work just fine.
- If it doesn't work next step would be to reseat the ribbon cable that connects the display to the motherboard.
- If all these will not work only option would be to replace the display itself since it's a hardware problem.

Here's a sample of a replacement LCD:
http://www.amazon.com/LENOVO-THINKPAD-LAPTOP-SUBSTITUTE-REPLACEMENT/dp/B005BW7WN0

Here's the quick guide in replacing the LCD:
https://support.lenovo.com/ph/en/documents/pd015287

Chris_wynne

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Hi thanks for your help, however as stated I have tried the whole/entire display and cable on another lenovo e520 and it works fine. the screen works fine. however on my lenovo e520 it is just black. even when using the projector option e.g 1 display on external monitor and one on laptop. the only screen displaying image is the esxternal. the laptop LCD is black but backlight is lit and brightness is on full too.

ffg7

Splendid
if screen & cable works on the other laptop then it is a motherboard issue but not the onboard video which works with external monitor. try the other laptop's screen & cable to see if does same thing as yours.

Solution