Lenovo Ideapad z585 + 2GB Radeon HD 7670m ... DDR3, or GDDR5 vRAM?

jarblater

Honorable
Jan 21, 2013
Hi, and thanks for reading. I appreciate any replies :)

I am looking into buying this laptop:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834312434

My only concern is that the 2GB Radeon HD 7670 may have DDR3 instead of GDDR5. Basically I just want to know so that I don't I put myself in a position where I have a cheesed down version of an otherwise ~decent mobile GPU.

If it does have DDR3 instead of GDDR5 I will might purchase this laptop instead:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215663

Thank you very much for any help on this.

P.S...
I intend to do homework, surf the web, and play games on my new laptop. (I know what I'm getting into as far as gaming performance).

My budget cannot stretch beyond $500 and after reading the reviews, it seems to be the sweet spot as far as price/performance. Not to mention reviewers mention playing Battlefield 3 on medium to high settings along with some tinkering allowed in the BIOS (and, I am a "tinker-er").

This laptop is to upgrade my current laptop: Dell Studio XPS 1640 with Core 2 Duo p8600, 4 GB dual channel DDR3, ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3670, 500 GB HDD 5400 RPM, Windows 7 Home Premium (clean install from Windows Vista), WIFI fails forcing reboot every hour or so (bad for Skydrive), no longer charges its battery, and can't play Star Craft 2 for some intermittent reason (total system failure at log in, even after 2 weeks with Blizzard's support team's help). Dx

I checked on Notebookcheck.net and the A8 4500m is only slightly slower than my current CPU, but on par. Though, the new system would overall have greater performance because of the newer GPU and upgrading it to 8GB of DDR3. Not to mention it being new (no abuse), having official Windows 8 support, being able to charge, etc. >.<

"Cinebench R10 in comparison:
AMD A-Series A8-4500M 4834.4
Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 4965" -Notebookcheck.net

Conversation on the condition of my Studio XPS is welcome >.<