Lenovo laptop heating too much after upgrading to Windows 8.1 and switching on Secure Boot

amruthvvkp

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
I am using Lenovo G505s for the past few months. Initially, I've installed Windows 7 64 bit and Lenovo Energy Management for Windows 7 64 bit provided by Lenovo in their website.

Later, I've upgraded to Windows 8.1 64 bit and while installation of OS, I've turned on Secure Boot in the bios menu. After turning on Secure Boot, the laptop started heating too much (It has literally become a frying pan). It wouldn't stay on even for 15 minutes before I've installed the drivers and frequently shutdown due to heat.

Finally after installing the video and audio drivers, the heat reduced significantly. I am using a Cooler Master Laptop cooler but still the temperatures were high (40c - 70c). When I've played games, it would shoot up to 80c within few minutes of gaming. After sometime, I've thought that secure boot might be the problem and turned it off in the bios.

Now the heat has considerably reduced and the CPU is staying at 23c - 33c while the GPU is at 40c - 60c on normal work load. While gaming, it goes up to 70c - 80c but usually cools within 10 - 15 mins under the cooler (Checked it out ith AMD Overdrive).

But after switching off the Secure Boot, Windows load time has increased from 13.5 seconds to 45 seconds. It is getting stuck at the login screen for a couple of seconds and then proceeds to the next screen. I am not sure what used to cause the heat and now the delayed boot time but i am guessing it might be Secure Boot. Someone please help me in figuring it out the issue.

[Note: For Windows 8.1, Lenovo has not provided any energy management driver and my battery backup time has also decreased from 3 hours to 1hr 45mins.]

My system specs:
Lenovo G505s
Proecssor: AMD A10 5750M APU
Ram: 8GB
GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8650G + 8570M Dual Graphics
Operating System: Windows 8.1 64 bit with Update 1

Keeno99

Estimable
May 24, 2014
In the BIOS you may have switched off the fans or something along the lines of that. Also some laptops don't cooperate when you upgrade the OS. Try re installing Win 7 and see if that helps.

amruthvvkp

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

After I've turned off secure boot, I tried rolling back to Windows 7 and that didn't work out. Lenovo G505s comes in 2 variants: A Windows 8 version and DOS version both having the same hardware specs (except that Windows 8 version has 4GB ram and DOS version has 8GB ram). So I don't think OS might be the issue.

Regarding that switching off fan in BIOS, there was no option for turning off the fan in the BIOS.

The wired thing is that Lenovo has provided an Lenovo Energy Management for Windows 7 not for Windows 8.1. When I had Lenovo Energy Management in Windows 7, I had no issue with the heat.

Keeno99

Estimable
May 24, 2014
So when you got back on Win 7 the Energy Management wasn't working? You could try restoring the laptop to default settings to reset any changed settings you don't know about.

amruthvvkp

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012

Energy management was working in Windows 7 but Lenovo didn't provide Energy management for Windows 8.1

Sandesh CV

Estimable
Mar 24, 2015
Dear gamer,

Is the issue solved? In fact I have a similar condition with the same laptop make. I recently upgraded to win 8.1 and my system is almost unusable after the upgrade :(