Lenovo Laptop won't boot past logo, Novo button doesn't have reset

Status
Not open for further replies.

SirWillow

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
My daughter has a Lenovo Flex 3 laptop that she got about a year and a half ago (warranty expired now, of course) that is refusing to boot. When you start the computer it gets to logo on the black screen and the spinning Windows wheel and won't go past that. No matter how long you let it sit.

Pushing f8 at boot up will get us an additional "preparinging automatic repair" but it also never progresses and leaves us stuck on the same boot screen.

We've tried the novo button and it doesn't have a "reset" option under that menu. it only has 4 options- normal startup, BIOS setup, boot menu (boot preference order), and system recovery. System recovery will show it "loading files" a couple of round then ends up at the same frozen logo screen.

Other recovery options I've seen listed (such as hitting F10 and ALT) has absolutely no effect. We can't get any other load screens, reset options, factory settings, or even an option to load into safe mode. Just same old frozen Lenovo logo with a spinning circle.

Any clues as to what to do? Can I create a windows boot disk/ thumb drive that can override this and perhaps boot from it? Can it be repaired? Or are we looking at a lost computer?

Solution
Well you can use a USB drive to create a backup for installing when problems happen, but since yours already isn't working, you would need to get the data from somewhere else. You might try the manufacturer.

However, if it is a hardware problem, then that won't help.
Note: If this problem started after an update (or system reinstall), please make sure the laptop is not connected to the internet in any way before you use the following instructions.

Try the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
4. Repeat this process a few times until you see the "Preparing Automatic Repair" screen.
5. Now you want to let the laptop boot to the "Automatic Repair" screen.
6. Click "Advanced Options" and then select "Troubleshoot".
7. Here you want to select "Refresh your PC", if you do not wish to erase data, or "Reset your PC" to erase all data and restore your system.
8. From here just follow the screen instructions until the recovery is completed.

NOTE: You will need to get into the "Advanced Options" in order to get the "Refresh Option". This choice will keep your data, but any programs installed will be lost.

Do not do a "Reset" as that will wipe all data you have on the laptop.

Another version of this is the following...

1. Power off the laptop.
2. Power on the laptop.
3. When screen turns black, hit F10 and ALT repeatedly until the computer shuts off.
4. You shouTo fix the computer you should choose the second option listed.
5. When the next screen loads, choose the option "Reset Device".
6. Now choose which ever type of reset you wish.
7. Your coputer should now restore itself to "Factory Settings".

NOTE: If you get a message saying "Error Resetting Device", then you should have the computer looked at by the manufacturer (if still under warranty) or by a tech.

SirWillow

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
Appreciate it. I know that while you're trying to help, that's also the essentially the copy/ pasted asnwer (including the typo on #4 of part 2). If you'll notice, I've actually addressed those points already in my OP:

for part 1 it never progressed on the "Automatic Repair" screen to ever give the options, but stays at that black logo screen
for part 2, the F10/ Alt doesn't do anything at all

The copy and paste is of my own original posting answer. (If you search back on the site you will find my original eventually.) I never noticed the typo, seems you missed one too (part 2 #7). I will have to fix those. LOL Thanks for pointing it out.

OK so neither option worked. If not, then you may want to try seeing if it will boot up in "Safe Mode". If it does, then there is something (bad program virus, malware, etc.,) on the device. However, if it still won't load, then you may have a larger programming issue. Like needing to do a full system restore or even hardware problems.

SirWillow

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014

Therein is the problem- I can't even get to a boot menu that offers safe mode as an option. Or a system restore. Or anything like that. The Novo button doesn't offer those for some reason. That's why I was wondering about the possibility of creating a windows boot disk on a thumb drive for it.

Well you can use a USB drive to create a backup for installing when problems happen, but since yours already isn't working, you would need to get the data from somewhere else. You might try the manufacturer.

However, if it is a hardware problem, then that won't help.

Solution
Jun 29, 2018
Sir , i was also having a same problem with my lenovo ideapad 310. Exact same, then i searced in web ...come to this site too and saw solution here but nothing worked .then i searced more and get the solution .i press the novo button to start the laptop(this buttion is in the left side of laptop next to card reader a small hole is there that novo button use pen's nip to click that button after that laptop starts and shows 4 options i choose the recovery Option which is in the last then recovery optuon starts i clicked return buttion and clicked reboot then its starts reparing my windiws ....and it starts.......this time while reparing black screen does not occurs

Jul 6, 2018

Aug 20, 2018

I have the same exact issue. Bought my laptop for $1700 last year, use it like once per month and when I called Lenovo to help me troubleshoot this very problem, was told that I'm 10 days outside the warranty period.
Forget the warranty, how does a laptop break down this bad after one year??? I used it maybe 20 times! I have owned dell products for years...have a desktop at my work that I use all day long, never shut down and it has gone without a single issue for 8 years straight.

This is the first and last time I will ever buy a lenovo.

Sep 4, 2018

Nov 4, 2018
Same Lenovo issue !! Followed all the instructions, when I choose system restore. I get a message. To use System Restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system and then select System restore.
When restart it just take me back to step 4. which tells me they can't fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.