Lenovo Owners Y5070 2015 Version (IPS-960m) plz heeeeeeelp

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Hiii,

I am looking forward to buy this laptop this week , i do like its specs and overall look but i went through many reviews made me worry about this laptop. i am *SO* concerned about heating/cooling system and the screen quality.

So please from Y5070 buyers/owners , What can you say about heating of this laptop after the time you used it .. Does it heat up (i mean you start to feel the heat/warm coming out of it to your hands) through normal tasks like long run browsing//playing movies or music//working on Autocad and Excel ???
and Did cooling pad help reducing heat with gaming on this laptop??

For Screen Quality, is it good,fair or bad? what generally you can say about its Cons??

Waiting for your help and replies ASAP guys

Thanks in advance
BeNo

I won't say it's a bad laptop, it does have its flaws. It does heat up quite a bit in the WASD area of the keyboard, even when not gaming. You will definitely feel the difference if you are to be using it for long periods of time. Screen quality is Fair... Although I don't own one, I have sold many, and the heat was an issue for some end users.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Thanks for your post , i see you posted in another topic that was made recently having the same heating problem.
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-2773501/lenovo-y50-keyboard-heat-issue.html#16614250

Still waiting for more replies and feedback from this laptop users

Greetings, beno:

You've probably made your decision by now, but here are a few thoughts:

a) I have a Y50 from April 2015 and I really appreciate the generous specs and the general quality feel of the machine. I use it mostly for entertainment and the odd productivity job. For gaming, it's a bit middle-of-the-road: It gets the job done, but usually I have to make adjustments in the settings menu, especially with next-gen games like GTA V and Tomb Raider. Other than that, it's a very nice and reliable laptop that I can definitely recommend.

b) It does heat up quite noticeably - so don't put it in your lap! The heat is felt on the keyboard, but personally I don't mind that much. I usually rely on peripherals (mouse and keyboard) for gaming anyway, because the laptop keyboard itself is very slick and I can't place my hands in a useful position on any laptop (I'm a desktop guy at heart).

c) My only serious reservation is the standard TN screen. It is so below-average it's almost useless for a portable device. I know from others that an IPS screen makes a world of a difference, so you are unlikely to experience any issues (other than some glare perhaps).

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Greetings GreyCatz,
Thanks for taking time to respond in a quite full review of Y5070 laptop.
Due to being myself (very suspicious guy),i am afraid that i haven't made my decision yet and i am eager to know more from you if you don't mind.
So,I would really appreciate if you answer my questions

1)When laptop heats up in games does that cause lagging/stuttering/crashes with you?
2)At what range does laptop heat up in other stuff rather than gaming (Surfing/Movies/AutoCad or your production works)? How do you rate it?
3)Do you use Cooling Pad? if yes , does it make any real difference ?

Thanks in advance
Regards
BeNo

Hello, BeNo:

1) I have yet to experience an actual crash with this laptop (games or otherwise) but it is still rather new, of course. To be perfectly honest I haven't had any problems yet, but I should point out that I always start a (new) video game on the default settings, and then make a few adjustments. So far, I've been able to run all my games (including GTA V) at 45 degrees Centigrade (about 110 degrees Fahrenheit) which is barely noticeable on the keyboard. If I went all out at ultra settings I would probably see stuttering with an FPS rate at 25 to 30, but I'm fine with medium-to-high settings and a better FPS rate (between 55 and 65).

2) The quoted temperature is the same for productivity and entertainment. Right now, I'm running multiple sessions of Google with YouTube, Facebook and Memecenter along with a mail program, and it's at 40 degrees C. The highest temperatures I've seen appear when I do OneKey Recovery back-up or run Word and PowerPoint at the same time. Then it's about 50 degrees C (or 122 degrees F) with intermittent surges to 80 degrees C.

3) I don't use an actual cooling pad, but rather a chrome steel grill rack. You normally use it to put hot frying pans or pots on it, but I use it to raise the laptop an inch above the table surface giving the heat an easy way out. I rarely use the Y50 as an actual laptop, but that's because I've never quite gotten used to 'operating' the awkward keyboard design and I'm never going to understand the concept of a trackpad/touchpad - I guess I'm just too old.

Anyway, I hope I haven't scared you off the Y50 - it really is a great machine and I do enjoy the mobility it provides. My guess is that it'll handle most of your games, too, at decent and enjoyable settings. The temperature can be felt, but personally I don't consider it a problem.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Hi GreyCatz,
Thanks for the reply.Surely you haven't scared me off the Y50 , yet i guess :lol:
About the temperatures you mentioned , For what are these temperature , Cpu?
From what i understood from you that the laptop gets overheated even in others multitasks ??
and i guess i am sticking to this laptop as i couldn't find any better with same specs/money ,So in overall what didn't you like about this laptop ??

Hello BeNo:

Yes, the temperatures quoted are for the CPU. By the way, I did manage to crash the laptop today with GTA V, but only after I maxed out on all the settings I could get my fingers on, simply for testing purposes. The CPU temperature hovered about 60 degrees C (ca. 155 degrees F).

As for everyday multitasking, temperatures typically range from 45 to 55 degrees C depending on which Office programs I run. I usually run YouTube (Edge or Chrome) at the same time, or sometimes iTunes for background music. I've never had a crash in a productivity situation, but then again, I don't use the laptop for any work-related functions - it's purely private.

The only thing I don't like about my Y50 is the very limited viewing angles afforded by the standard TN screen, but the one you're considering has an IPS screen so that shouldn't be an issue for you. Other than that, I still consider my Y50 perfectly suited for all my needs - medium-to-high gaming, multiple entertainment sessions and light productivity.

Cheers,
GreyCatz.

beno

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010

Hi GreyCatz,
Thanks for reply.
Of course every laptop has its limits when it comes to gaming.All i wanted to make sure of it is laptop doesn't lag out or crash when you play any game with the Average settings suited for the laptop specs for a fair enough time.
As you know,for best results and gaming experience, you stick with the PCs.
Well, i really don't care much about the CPU temperature as i care more about the temperature or heat felt from the laptop itself during the regular multitasking.So how does laptop feels in the regular multitasking? ( so hot / hot / cool ) ??

After all , Thanks for your replys and feedback you have been so helpful for me getting info about stuff that i was really confused about regrading this laptop.

Regards
BeNo