Lenovo s41 (u41 in other countries) suddenly failing to turn on

Soulsofblack

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Hello, my brother has a lenovo s41 laptop, with windows 10 home, a core i3 5005u, a gtx 940m 2gb, 8gb of kingston hyperx ddr3 1600mhz single channel ram and a 1tb hdd. Today, when he tried to turn it on, the laptop would turn (power button iluminated in white) but without image on the screem, and after 5~15 seconds, the fan will spin at max speed, and still no image. It suddenly started doing it. About 3 weeks ago we reinstalled windows, which caused the laptop to shutdown after installing chipset drivers when we tried to install the graphics driver, so, we reinstalled it a second time, we installed the drivers with a program and all worked fine. He noticed that TES: skyrim would cause the laptop to shutdown, being this game the only to cause this. The laptop was sent to the official service to repasting and cleaning about 2 months ago, so, we dont know what could be the cause.
EDIT: laptop now turns on with no image, hdd spins up, but then stops spinning, cooler comes up at full speed for 5 seconds and then it shuts down

Solution
Edit: After some time, i decided to clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol, next to the CPU, there were some smd's, covered with thermal paste, cleaned that, reaplied some quality thermal paste (as5), resetted the power (i disconected the battery cable, and with the ac adapter unplugged, i pressed the power button for 30 seconds, reconected the battery and it worked like a charm.
If it is just the display not turning on, as mentioned in the post, try this...

1. Turn the laptop off (not sleep or hibernate but off).
2. Connect an external monitor to the laptop.
3. Turn on the external monitor.
4. Turn on the laptop.

NOTE: You may have to press an "external monitor" button. Could be the f4 button or a button with two monitors on it, for the external monitor to work.

If you can see fine on the external monitor, then your attached display, or the ribbon cable that connects it, are your problem.

If you can't see on the external monitor at all, or the problem occurs on the external monitor as well, then it is probably the graphics card/GPU that is the problem, which may require the motherboard be replaced.

Soulsofblack

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016

Many thanks for your answer! will try to do that right now
Edit: Tried that, but no image, also, now it turns off after 5~10 seconds

Soulsofblack

Commendable
Sep 30, 2016
Edit: After some time, i decided to clean the motherboard with isopropyl alcohol, next to the CPU, there were some smd's, covered with thermal paste, cleaned that, reaplied some quality thermal paste (as5), resetted the power (i disconected the battery cable, and with the ac adapter unplugged, i pressed the power button for 30 seconds, reconected the battery and it worked like a charm.

Solution