Lenovo SL510 stops at Lenovo splash screen

PaulThomas13

Commendable
May 23, 2016
Hi folks.
My SL510 has been running Debian 7.x for around 2 years without a reboot. I made the mistake of rebooting it and now it stops at the infamous splash screen. Fkeys do nothing. Blue button, nothing.
I've visually and electrically (powered off) checked the USB ports, no shorts. I've removed the RAM and I hear the fast and loud beeps, so it's not completely dead yet. I've tried known good memory .I tried holding down the power button without power, for >60 seconds. I removed the wrist rest and disconnected the CMOS battery. Nothing. It doesn't get past the splash screen but I even tried a boot CD, out of desperation.
So... Anybody know any magic incantation I can try before this workhorse becomes spare parts?
Cheers!!

Hi,

It seems like you've done most of the possible troubleshooting steps. One last troubleshooting step I can suggest is to remove the HDD off the laptop and see if it will get pass the Lenovo splash screen and if it does that means the problem is your HDD. But if it will still stay on the Lenovo screen without the HDD that means it the motherboard. I would suggest opening the laptop to reset BIOS by removing the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in. (While the laptop is OFF)

Hopefully this steps will help in identifying the problem.

PaulThomas13

Commendable
May 23, 2016

Thanks LTN - tried that too, sadly no joy. It never gets beyond the splash screen. Must be a motherboard or firmware issue, which is frustrating as it didn't have a problem until an unnecessary reboot!

Cheers!