Solved! Lenovo T420 Keyboard not working

Mar 17, 2021
Hello Everyone,

My Lenovo T420 keyboard is not working. The Power button, fingerprint reader, and mute button work. The keys, volume up/down, and all other keys are unresponsive. I do not have sticky keys applied, and have tried installing another generic ps/2 driver, but that has not worked. I do not think there is some type of Fn, or shortcut to disable the entire keyboard, but if there is, please let me know. I would appreciate any assistance. Thank you very much

Update, I tried shutdown instead of restart, and the power button does not work, so now my plan to do a fresh windows install is not going to work either. Would appreciate any ideas on how to boot without using the power button. thanks again

Solution
Those laptops are actually easy to work on, and if the power button does not work, that sounds like the keyboard is bad. There are two screws holding the keyboard in, they will be marked, and may be under the RAM door or next to it and one under the battery. I don't remember the exact locations for the 420.

Take those out, the keyboard will slide up a bit and you can then take it out and re-seat it or replace it. You may need to use a small screwdriver to push the keyboard up and out, just don't use a lot of force and don't push down far or you will damage electronics under it.
Those laptops are actually easy to work on, and if the power button does not work, that sounds like the keyboard is bad. There are two screws holding the keyboard in, they will be marked, and may be under the RAM door or next to it and one under the battery. I don't remember the exact locations for the 420.

Take those out, the keyboard will slide up a bit and you can then take it out and re-seat it or replace it. You may need to use a small screwdriver to push the keyboard up and out, just don't use a lot of force and don't push down far or you will damage electronics under it.

Solution