Lenovo Thinkpad E550 or the L540? Specs, prices inside

michaschm

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Should I get a

ThinkPad L540, 15.60'', Full HD, Intel Core i5-4210M, 4 GB DDR3-RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4600, 500GB HDD
for 679 Swiss Franks (715 USD) (with additional Lenovo 4 GB DDR3L-RAM: 785 USD)

or

ThinkPad E550, 15.60'', Full HD, Intel Core i5-5200U, 8 GB DDR3L-RAM, Intel HD Graphics 5500, 500GB HDD with 8 GB SSD-Cache
for 749 Swiss Franks (790 USD)

or

Should I rather wait for new, upcoming Lenovo releases? I am not really in a hurry.

Purposes are programming, surfing and other day to day use.

I am curious about what the pros and cons are for either! I don't think the Touchpad/Trackpad is a big deal for me, as I am new to notebooks in general.

Thanks in advance

Mike

Or in case someone thinks he has a better option for me:

1. What is your budget?
500-800 CHF (about 525-850 USD)

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080P / FullHD a must

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
Negligible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
No

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
Maybe a little bit of photo/video editing (negligible)

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
I prefer HDD over SSD

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
https://www.digitec.ch/en/s1/producttype/notebook-6?tagIds=614

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2 years at least

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
None

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
Lenovo. Interested in Acer and Dell as well though. Reason: style. I don't really like HP. Reason: style as well.

13. What country do you live in?
Switzerland

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Purpose: carrying, outside, programming, surfing, other day to day use. >NO gaming<

Solution
Those are OK for the price, the L540 is a better buy, has a faster CPU, but the E550 will have a bit more battery life. Either will be fine for general non-gaming use.

michaschm

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Thanks. Still would appreciate more opinions.

The L series quality also is supposed to be sturdier, while the E550 on the other hand is the newer, 2015 edition.
Does someone know more about this? Is it a big deal?