Lenovo y50 Touch Screen Replacement Question

Justin_145

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
I recently dropped my backpack and cracked the corner of my Lenovo y50 touch screen. The display is still fully functional, no loss of color or pixels, but the LCD glass is heavily cracked so I'd like to repair it.

I've researched enough to realized that replacing the touch screen version is much more complicated than the non-touch version, so I don't want to attempt it. My question now is whether I could buy the non-touch back cover and screen, and completely replace the screen altogether? It would be much cheaper, and I don't care about touch functions I just want to fix the broken screen.

Does anyone know if the hinges and pin connections are the same between the touch and non-touch version to allow me to do this? Thanks in advance.

ffg7

Splendid
you would still have to take the laptop apart to disconnect the touch screen cable from motherboard so why not remove the broken touch screen itself from bezel & lcd screen to save yourself the money of new lcd, bezel & backcover.
http://www.laptopscreen.com/English/model/Lenovo/Y50%20TOUCH%20SERIES/

Justin_145

Commendable
Nov 27, 2016
That's what I thought at first, but from youtube videos and other research, it looks like in the touch version the lcd is glued to the digitizer. I'd have to use something like a heat gun to get it off and that's assuming it doesn't break. Not really something I want to try.

ffg7

Splendid
more then likely they used double sided tape being you can get the touch screen separately without buying the lcd screen. apple uses that method on their ipads as I worked on some to replace the touch screen or lcd screen but not both at once for some customers. can use a heat gun which I use or a hair dryer to soften the tape to slowly pry the touch screen away from the lcd.