Lenovo Y50 wont boot - neither Windows 8.1 from SSD or Ubuntu from USB

Aug 1, 2018
Hello,
I am having very hard time with my Lenovo Y50- 70 UHD Windows 8.1 laptop. Which I bought in 2015 with 2 year additional warranty, unfortunately it lapsed just couple of weeks before my laptop broke.

Problem:
Laptop either goes to "Preparing automatic repair" reboot loop, or BSOD. If i disable secure boot and set the graphics to UMS in BIOS then a couple of dots keeps spinning under the Lenovo label like forever.

I tried to boot Ubuntu from a live USB after setting the Boot mode to legacy in BIOS yet it fails before loading the GUI and laptop goes to boot cycle.

Tried System restore through novo button that fails and laptop goes reboot loop/automatic repair/BSOD.

Tried to install Windows 7 that fails at the windows 7 logo and same boot cycle.

Tried to install Windows 8.1, pair of dots under lenovo keeps spinning live for ever or boot cycle.

Hardware checks I tried:

checked the hard drive by connecting to my old laptop through a USB to SATA cable and it is fine.
Tried swapping RAMS - same issue.
Tried disconnecting CMOS cell, laptop batter and power source and pressed the power button for 30 seconds - didn't fix the issue.

What worked so far:
1. Micorsoft DOS boot from USB.
2. Ultimate Boot CD - I am not a geek and not familiar with this software.
But strange behavior, parted magic boots and displays the GUI in external monitor and nothing in laptop screen (just black as lcd screen is powered off).
Same even if boot UBCD without external the external, laptop screen is on until I select parted magic followed by log text and then monitor goes off.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Aug 1, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ravindrababumetuku : "Laptop does not boot - not from SSD, not from live USB (Ubuntu)"

Hello,
I am having very hard time with my Lenovo Y50- 70 UHD Windows 8.1 laptop. Which I bought in 2015 with 2 year additional warranty, unfortunately it lapsed just couple of weeks before my laptop broke.

Problem:
Laptop either goes to "Preparing automatic repair" reboot loop, or BSOD. If i disable secure boot and set the graphics to UMS in BIOS then a couple of dots keeps spinning under the Lenovo label like forever.

I tried to boot Ubuntu from a live USB after setting the Boot mode to legacy in BIOS yet it fails before loading the GUI and laptop goes to boot cycle.

Tried System restore through novo button that fails and laptop goes reboot loop/automatic repair/BSOD.

Tried to install Windows 7 that fails at the windows 7 logo and same boot cycle.

Tried to install Windows 8.1, pair of dots under lenovo keeps spinning live for ever or boot cycle.

Hardware checks I tried:

checked the hard drive by connecting to my old laptop through a USB to SATA cable and it is fine.
Tried disconnecting CMOS cell, laptop batter and power source and pressed the power button for 30 seconds - didn't fix the issue.

What worked so far:
But strange behavior, parted magic boots and displays the GUI in external monitor and nothing in laptop screen (just black as lcd screen is powered off).
Same even if boot UBCD without external the external, laptop screen is on until I select parted magic followed by log text and then monitor goes off.

Aug 1, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ravindrababumetuku : "Laptop does not boot - not from SSD, not from live USB (Ubuntu)"

Hello,

Problem:

Hardware checks I tried:

What worked so far:

Aug 1, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ravindrababumetuku : "Ubuntu live usb keeps rebooting"

Hello All,

I have tried booting(try option)/installation of Ubuntu 18.04 amd x64 on a UEFI system with various options, like legacy mode, UEFI modi, with hardrive connected and without hardrive connected but the best it gets to is up to the selection screen where it lets my choose among the options "Try Ubuntu without installing", "Install Ubuntu".. etc. And after selecting any of the above above 2 options, laptop simply reboots.

I have tried creating the live USB using various tools including Unetbootin, RUFUS, YUMI, Linux USB Creator 2.9.4, Etcher etc.
But none of them got me through the Try/Install Ubuntu option.

Also tried noacip, nomodeset etc options that are available on F6 and none of them worked.

BTW the laptop I am trying has 4k inbuilt display. Not sure if that is causing the Ubuntu boot to break.

Looking forward to get suggestions on fixing this.

mdsimmons1118

Proper
Aug 6, 2018
MERGED QUESTION
Question from ravindrababumetuku : "Installing an OS on a UHD laptop"

Try installing Windows 10. It will usually detect most drivers automatically when setting up. Also running a portable version of Linux like Ubuntu will also load basic drivers. The laptop should not need to load any drivers for GPU before booting into an OS as long as the chip is working and connected properly to the motherboard. Maybe you can check if it is set up to run in the BIOS?
Just a few things to try.