Lenovo Y500 CPU running way too hot

2nd

Estimable
Jun 29, 2014
After having my Lenovo Y500 laptop for a couple years, it somewhat recently started getting FPS lag while gaming or running other resource-heavy programs. I believe I found the issue, the CPU throttles due to heat.

Right now, the lowest I can get it to go is (73 / 69 / 66 / 71°C) while running only Skype, Chrome and a CPU temperature program.

While gaming, temperatures easily reach 100°C. Some games reach this temperature on the menu screen, due to running at 700 fps and my not being able to activate V-Sync for these games.

My friend, who has had the same Y500 laptop for around a year just recently started asking me about FPS lag, and it sounds like the same CPU issue.

Any idea how I could fix this? I assume it's a problem with the CPU cooling system and I'll have to talk to Lenovo about warranties and such. :(

VicVega1

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
Best thing to do with a laptop runnung hot is to clean it. Take the lower panel off and use a can of compressed air to clean as much as possible. Fan, heatsink, air intake/exhaust crates and all the components are propably coverd with dust which can cause massive overheating. I recently did that to my laptop and got a 20°C drop in temps.
If this doesn't work you can try reapplying thermal compound on your CPU and the third option is a laptop cooler.

VicVega1

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
Best thing to do with a laptop runnung hot is to clean it. Take the lower panel off and use a can of compressed air to clean as much as possible. Fan, heatsink, air intake/exhaust crates and all the components are propably coverd with dust which can cause massive overheating. I recently did that to my laptop and got a 20°C drop in temps.
If this doesn't work you can try reapplying thermal compound on your CPU and the third option is a laptop cooler.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
magicalfry Laptop Tech Support 2
R Laptop Tech Support 1
nerdyotter Laptop Tech Support 0
farhan.sidiqui Laptop Tech Support 3
M Laptop Tech Support 6
O Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 2
L Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
P Laptop Tech Support 1
D Laptop Tech Support 1