Solved! Lenovo Y530 suddenly became incredibly slow, continues to be after Windows reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2020
I have a Lenovo Y530 for 15 months now (i7-8750H, 1050Ti, 32GB RAM, SSD+HDD onboard). Some days ago the computer suddenly became incredibly slow, I can't even scroll on a webpage without it lagging, and it has major problems doing basic Photoshop tasks or even light gaming. I suspected I might have gotten some malware that does this, so I reinstalled. Twice. Only slight improvements. It's weird, I start a game that normally would run on Ultra settings, it almost runs flawlessly, but when I turn down the graphics to minimum, the fps doesn't improve at all. The computer is overall significantly slower than before. Previously I had a cooling issue which had been fixed by swapping the ventilators at warranty. It's not running hot, the CPU usage in the Task Manager is usually at 20-25%. What could cause the problem? I have all drivers installed correctly. I fear this might be a GPU issue. Or is this just some aggressive malware? Any help appreciated!

Solution
check the memory by running memtest.org usb autoinstaller (bootable USB flash drive)

check the hard drives for errors with the manufacturer´s tools

check the windows event viewer for errors
Sep 21, 2020
Did you ever find a solution to this? I have the exact same issue on the same computer and its really frustrating. Out of nowhere my fantastic computer started running like garbage. Passmark seems to be pointing to the CPU being the issue but I really I have no idea. I am consistently getting a cpu score of 2825 +/- 3 points.

I did a re install of windows and that did not help at all. I did select the option for keeping my files but I don't think that should matter.

Thank you!

the CPU is throttling, most likely because of heat. How hot is the CPU getting before it gets to 800MHz? check with coretemp or similar

edit:

eventually update the BIOS, the Intel chipset driver and the Intel Management Engine

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
I suppose I am not allowed to post local pictures? I have screen shots of the core temp results with nothing running.
Max temp is 46c.
Frequency was 79.85MHz (99.73x8.0)
load across the cores during this phase was 5-12%

I ran the benchmark again and the
max temp across all cores was 49c
the frequency remained the same the entire time however. 79.85MHz (99.73x8.0)
Load would regularly hit 100% on the cores during the benchmark.

If there are other results on this you think you should see I can find an image hosting site or let me know how to upload from local.

How do you recommend I update the BIOS, the Intel chipset driver and the Intel Management Engine ?

Thank you

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
Post pictures to a site like imgur.com and then post the links here. This site does not store pictures locally.

You should also start your own thread for better coverage by members.

On it. I will make a new thread and copy this info on there. If you know a better way to branch a thread, let me know. Otherwise I will just make a write up.

Status
Not open for further replies.