Brian Carman

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
I just bought a used Lenovo Y580 knowing its screen wouldn't turn on. I replaced the screen and the same problem occurs. I'm assuming that means the screen's cable is bad, but I'm not certain. I thought it could be the video card as well, but that doesn't seem likely since an external monitor works just fine with the laptop.

Not sure if it's important, but when I first started the computer with it's old screen, the Lenovo screen came up for a second then disappeared. The screen didn't work after that. Could that be BIOS oriented?

Also, it has 3 USB ports that don't work (I'm assuming the 3.0 ports) and one 2.0 port that does work, which I'm not that concerned about, but that could be related, and if I could fix them, that'd be nice, too.

Any ideas on what's causing the screen not to work? Is this a normal issue for these laptops? Any easy fixes?

Thanks so much.

- Brian

Brian Carman

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Thanks for the reply.

That may be a little out of my range. What I mean is, I don't know how to measure to ground. I may be able to figure it out, though. And I'm not sure how to pick out pins 2 and 4. I don't have a schematic.

Brian Carman

Estimable
Apr 24, 2014
Whoops! I got a picture from a Y570 instead of a Y580. My mistake. I didn't take this picture from my laptop because I didn't have time to disassemble it yesterday and wanted to get you a picture quickly.

If you can show me which two pins on this to test, I should be able to test the same two pins on my Y580, correct? I know the cables are a bit different, but from the left side, the pin locations should be the same on the Y580 cable. Or am I mistaken on that?

Also, that's the connection at the monitor, not the motherboard. I figured I could track it back to the motherboard if I were showing which two of these to test. However, I could be completely wrong about that since I haven't seen the motherboard connection yet, which might look very different. Let me know if I need to get a picture of the connect at the motherboard and I'll get that for you as soon as I can.

Thanks for your patience.