brianycheung

Estimable
Mar 22, 2015
I am an architecture student, I use AutoCAD Architecture, Revit, 3DsMax, Rhino, Lumion, Sketchup, and Photoshop. Usually I work on a desktop workstation at school, however, I also like working on the go. So I need a laptop that has the capacity to do intensive rendering with ray trace and mental ray. I mainly use the laptop for those applications instead of gaming so I'm wondering which is a better option, Y70 or W550s?

Solution
The Quadro K620M is only about as powerful as a GT 840m so the GTX 860m in the Y70 is far more powerful.

However, the Quadrio K620m is ISV-Certified for CAD/CAM and digital content creation which means the drivers are more stable and optimized for those types of software. The W550s is a more durable laptop since it is designed to meet military durability specifications. Since the W550s is a business laptop you will get business quality support from Lenovo should you need it. However, you are getting a dual core CPU with the W550s rather than a quad core CPU in the Y70.

If gaming is a priority, then the Y70. If architecture design is the priority, then the W550s.
The Quadro K620M is only about as powerful as a GT 840m so the GTX 860m in the Y70 is far more powerful.

However, the Quadrio K620m is ISV-Certified for CAD/CAM and digital content creation which means the drivers are more stable and optimized for those types of software. The W550s is a more durable laptop since it is designed to meet military durability specifications. Since the W550s is a business laptop you will get business quality support from Lenovo should you need it. However, you are getting a dual core CPU with the W550s rather than a quad core CPU in the Y70.

If gaming is a priority, then the Y70. If architecture design is the priority, then the W550s.

Solution