Lenovo y70 vs Asus N750JK vs Acer VN7-791G

G

Hello.

I have a question for laptop experts AND people that own or had a chance to test the laptops mentioned in the title.

I would like to know any pros or cons that comes into your mind about each of the laptops and in the end of course which would you recommend. I will use it mostly for college. I study computer science. I will also watch movies on it while away from home (I have 24'' monitor at home) and now and then play some high end games on it (not much, really). I think all the laptops mentioned is good enough for me, but I'm willing to pay for any of this three, so I won't just take cheaper. I want the best I can get for the money. I have already gone through a million of offers and this is the final shortlist for me so please concentrate only on this laptops. Also storage in laptop is not important. I will install the SSD anyway.

Here's the specs:

Lenovo IdeaPad Y70-70
----------------------------------
Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor, 2.5 GHz (6M Cache, up to 3.5 GHz)
Memory: 2x4GB
Hard drive: SSHD 1TB SATA 2 (3 Gbit/s), 5400rpm + 8GB SSD
Display: 17,3'' FHD (1920x1080) Anti-Glare IPS LED Touch
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M, GDDR5, 4GB
WI-FI: 802.11ac
Battery: 4-cell Li-ion battery
Weight: 3.4 kg

[strike]Acer VN7-791G
-----------------------
Memory: 8GB DDR3
Hard drive: 1TB 5400rpm
Display: 17,3" FHD (16:9), IPS, anti-glare
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB DDR5 VRAM
WI-FI: 802.11a/g/n
Battery: 3-cell Li-ion battery
Weight: 3.0kg[/strike]

Asus N750JK
--------------------
Memory: 2x4GB
Hard drive: 1TB 7200rpm
Display: 17,3'' FHD LED (1920x1080), 300 nits, anti-glare
Graphics Card: NVIDIA Geforce GTX850 DDR3 2 GB
WI-FI: 802.11 a/g/n, AC Wifi Card
Battery: 69WHrs, 3S2P, 6-cell Li-ion
Weight: 3.33kg
Thanks.

EDIT: I already checked the reviews on notebookcheck.net but I would still like to hear some more comments about battery life under different load conditions.

EDIT2: I've just found out that Acer's got 1x8GB RAM installed with NO other free slot avaliable. So that leaves me only with Lenovo and Asus. I prefer Lenovo the most because of it's IPS screen and better graphics. I could still use as many information about it though.

Solution
Just ordered the Y70, will be here on Thursday. Spec wise it looks great. I will be mainly using it for relatively moderate games like LoL and WoW and for running multiple VMs. I will be happy to talk about it more once it arrives and I've had a chance to put some games on it.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I don't know about all of them, but the early reviews on the Y70 look very good. What drew me to look at it was the fact that its a 17" touchscreen. All of the reviews I read also said the screen is very very good. Way better than the Y50. Personally I avoid Acer machines as the quality tends to be meh. The Asus is rocking a lower graphics card and lower quality wifi. However the ASUS boot drive will be faster than the one in the Y70. I would upgrade either to a real SSD, but that is just me. Spec for spec the Y70 is a better machine than the Asus one you listed.

G

I think we're more or less on the same page here. I really doubt in acer's built quality. Specifically for this series the touchpad is a complete nightmare. I don't use it at home (only when away from home) but for that kind of money the touchpad should work as it should. It starts responding only after you move your finger for 2mm. If you have a little sweaty fingers the cursor jumps for 1 cm when you take your finger off the touchpad (I tried this on several laptops). However, I am willing to live with that IF it turns out that it is really that much better than the other two.

blcskate

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
As for battery life (sorry missed it at the bottom). Honestly anytime I am looking at a 17" I basically assume I am going to plug it in with <2hrs off the cord. I realize that when its new and if your web surfing you might get 3-4hrs, but for most of its life cycle and for moderate usage you can figure <2hrs and if gaming or watching HD videos you can figure even worse (aka plug it in first).

The only laptop I have ever purchased that can do 5+ hrs of video is my wife's Samsung Ultrabook. It has like a 13" screen and will go 5 hours watching movies no problem. Its a great laptop for plane rides across country.

Honestly if the Y70 had a 970m I might consider it, but I can't step back to a 860 at this point.

G

Thanks, your informations were very useful but still completely general. I could use some specific informations about these three products, so if anyone happen to own one of these laptops, please share some info. It would be greatly appreciated.

lasterror

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Just ordered the Y70, will be here on Thursday. Spec wise it looks great. I will be mainly using it for relatively moderate games like LoL and WoW and for running multiple VMs. I will be happy to talk about it more once it arrives and I've had a chance to put some games on it.

Solution

lasterror

Honorable
Sep 23, 2013
Y70 has arrived and indeed the screen is wonderful. Dim out of the box but adjusting the brightness fixes it and it's easily the best looking laptop screen I've ever seen in person. The touch feature is a must. I've struggled before with Windows 8 on regular hardware and been miserable with it. Adding touch is like a whole new experience and it just works so much better this way, so highly recommend touch if you can get it.

My Y70 was the "special edition" 16GB RAM and 4GB GPU RAM. Nothing I have taxes either of those numbers. Even gaming maxed out can't even get the CPU to be warm, quite honestly. The same game would cripple my old i5 laptop and was/is a challenge for my AMD 965 desktop with a GTX760 card. The i7 in this laptop seems to shrug it off. Clearly I need to install many more games on the Lenovo and play with it more. This is just a very quick impression.

Build quality on the Y70 is pretty good. No quality issues. It's solid, sleek, not too heavy, etc. Sound is excellent and loud enough. The reviews are pretty accurate. It does have a thing for showing finger prints. Oh well. It wipes clean.

My biggest con is the battery: it's not exactly removable. I had a problem today during the initial Windows 8 setup where the laptop locked up. It was my fault for installing two incompatible things. Not a Lenovo or Windows issue. Normally I'd pull the battery to fix this and reboot but you can't really do this on the Y70. The battery is under a cover secured with about 15 screws, so not something you'd casually pop in and out when Windows doesn't want to cooperate. In the end holding down the power button worked fine for me.

Also have concerns about the corners on this laptop. They are somewhat sharp and just begging for drops and cracks. I bought a new laptop bag for this but even that is really tight around those corners. I feel like it's a matter of time before this thing gets dropped and split like a melon. Which is going to be my fault. Just something to consider. It's big.

Bottom line: Obviously I have not pushed it very hard yet but I am pleased as heck with the performance so far. It feels like it can handle anything I can imagine with ease. No regrets on the purchase.

This is my first Lenovo. Based on this very likely going to pick up a Y50 now as well for my fiance. Even if the Y50 screen is a bad, it's simple to replace on the Y50 with a cheaper and much better part so it becomes a very viable option for a slightly smaller version of this same thing.

G

That's great. I am glad it came without any defects. I have had a bad luck for past two months (3 defected laptops, 1 defected monitor :/). About the size and weight... I am willing to accept this because I hate small screens. I need to have a big screen in front of me otherwise I can't work properly. How hard is it to wipe those fingerprints away. I'm just asking out of curiosity, I don't really mind this as long as the performance and build quality are good enough. I hope you don't find out any other cons on the laptop but if you do please share it. One more thing. Could you be a little more specific about the battery life e.g. how long does it lasts when on wi-fi and high performance on (100% brightness), surfing on the web and what would be the maximum you could get when on battery saving mode with the lowest brightness option?

Thank you very much for your answers.
Have a nice day!

advith_

Estimable
Jan 9, 2015
I have used the Lenovo Y70 for two days now. I run a 12 GB RAM version, with 4GB 860 GTX GPU.

First things first, It is easy on the eye.

Complaints:
It has been 48 hours and I have already had one occurrence of the famous Y series screen flicker. I do not know what causes this issue, though. Answers vary from power sources, video card, wiring and what not. Bottom line, within 48 hours, the laptop had me worrying about the display.
The display, when working normally, is quite brilliant. But, there is something that went wrong which makes this issue pop up so often among the Y series users.

The ports - USB and audio jacks, seem to be slightly smaller than usual. They need a bit of forceful entry, if the description makes sense.

I loved the laptop when I first used it. The display issue, which has popped up only once is weighing heavily on my mind right now.

Hope this helps.

diana456

Estimable
Jan 15, 2015
I found this thread because I was looking at EXACTLY these 3 laptops and hoped to find someone who could tell me which one to get. I dismissed the Lenovo Y70 because the only extra it had was the touchscreen, it is more expensive than the other 2 and has lesser specs. I have a 13 inch Samsung Ultrabook and never use the touchscreen. I use Classicshell to get rid of the windows 8 layout. But that is my two cents on that.
Specs wise, the Acer (that I can get at the same price as the Asus) has 1Tb + 256 Gb ssd, whereas the Asus has just 750Gb and 8Gb ssd. Acer has Nvdia GeForce GTX 860M vs Geforce GTX 770M on the Asus. Acer has 16Gb DDR3L-SDRAM, Asus has 12. Acer has Intel I7 4710HQ vs Asus I7 4700HQ. Acer weighs 3kg and Asus 4.8kg.
I need this as a desktop replacement, I never play games. Really a slam dunk if you look at it..the only thing is that I am not sure about Acer after seeing some of the comments about the brand. On the other hand, the reviews for this particular model are very good. Not sure if I am helping anyone, was hoping someone could let me know what they think!
Thanks,
Diana