Lenovo Y70 vs ASUS ROG G750JS-DS71 ?

Kshitij Deshmukh

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014
Hi , I am planning to buy a new gaming laptop . Am I am stuck between these two . All I care about is high performance and durability . Not the weight etc etc. So can you please tell me which one should I go for ?

Lenovo Y70 : http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/lenovo/y-series/y70-touch/
Asus G750JS : http://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/ASUS_ROG_G750JS/

Solution
Keep in mind that these machines should not just be considered just as gaming rigs. Designers and media professionals love these "gaming" systems because of the gpu horsepower. Maybe games can not utilize the 4gb of video ram in the Y70, but your media professionals will love it when crushing video. When it comes to these high end systems it all comes down to the screen for me. the one with the best color wins hands down above speed.

I'm waiting for the Asus GX500 to come out before deciding on my next laptop purchase. Sounds like a beast.

Now... if you are really considering a rig for just gaming, may I suggest saving a shitload of money and just grabbing an xbox one or ps4 ;)

Drew Nusser

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014
It all depends on what you really want. The Y70 has touch, the ROG doesn't. If that's important to you, get the Y70. The ROG has a DVD drive though, and the Y70 doesn't, so if that's more important with you, go Asus.

Spec-wise, the Asus probably wins by a little bit, just because of the GPU. However, the Y70 is no slouch, and should play most games on high settings with no problems. The GT 860M with 4GB RAM is pretty beastly for such a low price.

Here's a benchmark comparison: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GTX-860M
Keep in mind that this is based on the 2GB version of the 860, so the actual one in the Y70 will close the gap between the two quite a bit.

Personally, I'm trying to talk the wife into letting me get the Y70 right now, because I can't see myself getting another laptop without a touch screen. Plus, you can get it for $1549 with the "USPY70H814" coupon code.

Hope this helps!

Adviceasker

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
"Here's a benchmark comparison: http://gpuboss.com/gpus/GeForce-GTX-870M-vs-GeForce-GTX...
Keep in mind that this is based on the 2GB version of the 860, so the actual one in the Y70 will close the gap between the two quite a bit. "

This^ is incorrect. The extra 2GB of vram will only make a performance difference in games that can use up 2GB. The only game I can think of where that would help is skyrim with the HD texture pack and modded. Also I would be wary of the y70 as the y40 and y50 reportedly have extremely lackluster screens. I would assume the y70 uses a similiar quality screen as the other two.

Drew Nusser

Estimable
Aug 19, 2014

I've heard similar things about the screens on the Y40 and Y50 displays, but this was supposedly something they wanted to fix in the Y70. Most reviews are saying it's brighter, has much better viewing angles, and doesn't have that weird not-true-yellow issue.
http://www.top5pc.com/lenovo-y70-laptop/

As for the GPU - yeah, you're right. There would only be a few games that would even touch the 2GB, and even less that would exceed it. I'm assuming there will be more in the future though, especially if you use mods, in which case the 4GB would help.

Lord Beaker

Estimable
Sep 15, 2014
Keep in mind that these machines should not just be considered just as gaming rigs. Designers and media professionals love these "gaming" systems because of the gpu horsepower. Maybe games can not utilize the 4gb of video ram in the Y70, but your media professionals will love it when crushing video. When it comes to these high end systems it all comes down to the screen for me. the one with the best color wins hands down above speed.

I'm waiting for the Asus GX500 to come out before deciding on my next laptop purchase. Sounds like a beast.

Now... if you are really considering a rig for just gaming, may I suggest saving a shitload of money and just grabbing an xbox one or ps4 ;)

Solution

Dale Worthington

Estimable
Mar 6, 2015
I just purchased the Y70 over the latest ASUS ROG with GTX 970m, for me I just could not justify the 500 dollar jump to get the slightly better graphics option.

In regards to the screen, don't be misled by those claiming that it has an inferior screen. The y50 used FHD, the y70 uses a brilliant and beautiful IPS screen with crisp and flawless viewing angles. Also the y70 is really slick looking with it's black brushed aluminum casing, it just screams 'sexy beast'!

As for the comment regarding the Y70 not having a DVD drive that is WRONG, true it is not in a bay on the laptop but lenovo supplies an external one in the box.

I have no regrets what-so-ever with the purchase of this laptop, I can run Skyrim, Crysis 3, WOW, Wolfenstien New Order all at ultra settings and they run like glass. All that for a 1000 dollar laptop has me grinning from ear to ear. I would say purchase the y70 and never look back.

Tony Sierra

Estimable
Jun 16, 2015
thanks for this info, i just bought a y-70 base on your comment here, the only issue i have is the mouse pad, have you had Any other issues since you bought it ?