Lenovo's IdeaPad A1 Now Selling for $199

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgtopmobile

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2010
THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED, COMPETITIOOON!!!! now that we have 199$ tables it will be just matter of time before you see a 199$ tablet whith the power of a A5 apple cpu, and of course.... 10x the power of A5 cpu in the high end ones...

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Stupid I think. A Viewsonic G Tablet is a dual core with 16GB storage and can be flashed to Gingerbread or Honeycomb and it's $249. AND it's a 10.1".

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I'm waiting for an ultra thin e-Ink reader that opens up like a book and is equipped with solar panels either on the back or at the top (since you need light to be able to read anyway and since e-Ink doesn't need much power to begin with).

Also, completely waterproof, with only a 3.5 mm headphone jack for audio-out, charging and PC connection. It has to be touchscreen, no buttons - except maybe a power button. Something that reads ePub and PDF, along the usual image formats (JPG, PNG, TIFF).

Make it happen, Lenovo! Get your ass into e-readers PRONTO. There's money to be made.

G

WIth Amazon you get their cloud, whispersync and access to their existing and growing list of app's. You give that up for a camera and internal memory you do not need? Amazon set the bar pretty high.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED, COMPETITIOOON!!!! now that we have 199$ tables it will be just matter of time before you see a 199$ tablet whith the power of a A5 apple cpu, and of course.... 10x the power of A5 cpu in the high end ones...[/citation]
[citation][nom]KawiNinjaZX[/nom]Stupid I think. A Viewsonic G Tablet is a dual core with 16GB storage and can be flashed to Gingerbread or Honeycomb and it's $249. AND it's a 10.1".[/citation]
There is no one tablet to get there are many choices and thats how you know thats its turning into a great competition.

alyoshka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
What's with a 2GB Pad? In a time when a TB is getting to be a household thing, why have a pad with just 2GB onboard? They needed to start off with the 8GB model at that price.... and then jacked it up for the 16GB one....

G

Well I would say you get what you pay for on this one. But I guess for many its basic features probably are enough for some. I would rather give a younger kid a $200 Tablet to play with then a $500 iPad. Which is what I see happening. 2GB is not a lot if you plan on loading it up with media and Apps. But if you don't plan to do that and just want the basics. Why not.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Exactly.

Email, a few documents, some e-books... Maybe an app or two. If you're using it for internet and cloud storage (like Dropbox), I can see it work. Games and movies are a whole other ball game. It's a single-core SoC after all...

CorusMaximus

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
[citation][nom]dspider[/nom]I'm waiting for an ultra thin e-Ink reader that opens up like a book and is equipped with solar panels either on the back or at the top (since you need light to be able to read anyway and since e-Ink doesn't need much power to begin with).Also, completely waterproof, with only a 3.5 mm headphone jack for audio-out, charging and PC connection. It has to be touchscreen, no buttons - except maybe a power button. Something that reads ePub and PDF, along the usual image formats (JPG, PNG, TIFF).Make it happen, Lenovo! Get your ass into e-readers PRONTO. There's money to be made.[/citation]

I would certainly buy this, even at $600, but I wouldn't hold my breath. I despair that we will never see anything like this.

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
Nah, they will... Eventually. I give it 3 years, 6 tops.

Probably colour too. Right now the Triton E Ink display can handle roughly 4000 colours. Once they work out the kinks (it's 2010 technology, after all), and they get it to look more vivid... you'll now the race is on. Everybody will be jumping on it, just like what's happening with the Pearl E Ink screen right now.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]sgtopmobile[/nom]THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT WE NEEDED, COMPETITIOOON!!!! now that we have 199$ tables it will be just matter of time before you see a 199$ tablet whith the power of a A5 apple cpu, and of course.... 10x the power of A5 cpu in the high end ones...[/citation]
Yep, let the price war begin

G

Well, for $50 more, you can buy the 16GB version. The description above states the cameras are 2MB front and 5MB rear. That is incorrect. The Tech Specs on Lenovo's site say 0.3 MP front and 3MP cameras are on board. That is definitely arcane, but at least it is more than what you get with the Kindle Fire. I wonder how annoying video Skype calls would be (not sure it its even supported) using the front camera.

fredcolon

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
The Kindle Fire is very resourceful and it can be used for many other things other than buying merchandize on Amazon's website.

The Kindle Fire will be issued on a first come, first serve basis. So it is wise to get your Kindle Fire for $199 right now. http://pnoy.me/9F

Status
Not open for further replies.