LG BPM25 Blu-Ray player - USB issues

Matt34

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
Hi, so a few days ago I purchased a LG BPM-25 Blu-Ray player. And I've been putting video files onto a USB stick to play on the Blu-Ray player.

I already had content on the USB stick when I first plugged it into the Blu-Ray player and all files were there and able to be played. I then later, after watching some of them, deleted some and put different files on after.

Now the issue I'm having is that some (usually most) of the files just won't show up when I plug the USB stick into the Blu-Ray player. But one of the files will often appear, but be replicated multiple times over showing up numerous times, in place of the files that should be showing.

I previously was playing these files on the USB stick through an old Xbox 360 (which is dying, hence the Blu-Ray player purchase). And now when I plug the USB stick into the Xbox all the video files are appearing as usual.

Things I've considered:

1.) The video file types I am using are compatible, they are a mix of mp4 and mkv, and I've watched an episode of each on the Blu-Ray player already. And both are listed as compatible with the model.

2.) I am using a USB 3.0 flash drive in FAT32 (tried NTFS and absolutely nothing showed when I plugged it into the Blu-Ray player, so I don't think it supports that format.

3.) Whenever I plug the USB stick back into my computer after having it been in the Blu-Ray player I get a popup saying "There is a problem with this device - scan it now to diagnose and repair problems". But when I scan the USB stick for issues it says there is none.

tl;dr

When I put five different video files onto the USB stick the Blu-Ray player usually will show one specific file replicated five times.

The Blu-Ray player is an LG BPM25, and the USB stick is a PNY 32GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive formatted in FAT32, using MKV and MP4 video files.

Any help is greatly appreciated, if there is any more info I can give to shed light on the issue please let me know.

Solution
I've got a Sony Home theatre system with bluray.

That doesnt support USB 3 flash drives either. I dont think the Bravia TV supports USB 3 either

Go to the LG site search for the model get the update if it's there. Follow instructions. Or if its wireless get it online, it may update it

Paul NZ

Admirable
According to the manual it doesnt support USB 3 flash drives. Well it doesnt say it does

This player supports USB flash drive/external HDD formatted in FAT32 and NTFS when accessing files (music, photo, movie).

However, for BD-Live and Audio CD recording, use the USB flash drive / external HDD formatted in FAT32.

This unit can support up to 4 partitions of the USB device.

Do not extract the USB device during operation (play, etc.).

A USB device which requires additional program installation when you have connected it to a computer, is not supported.

USB device: USB device that supports USB1.1 and USB2.0.

Try updating the firmware on it as well

Matt34

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017

I was under the impression that USB 2.0 ports would accommodate USB 3.0 devices, but just run at the 2.0 speeds? It has played video, and I can still get one video file to play, it is just that if I put on 5 files, it seems to just take one of the files and replicate that file 5 times instead of showing all the video files.

For the firmware update, are you meaning for the USB flash drive, or the Blu-Ray player? And how would I go about that?

MERGED QUESTION
Question from Matt34 : "LG Blu-Ray Player - USB issues"

USB ports on TV/BR player etc are not nearly as universal as on a PC. They are very finicky what format to take, and exactly what codec is being used. You are of course aware, for example, says it can do MP4, but within MP4 the actual video track can be encoded with different codec. Unfortunately the vendors often don't tell you exactly what is what, it's up to you to trial&error.

Paul NZ

Admirable
I've got a Sony Home theatre system with bluray.

That doesnt support USB 3 flash drives either. I dont think the Bravia TV supports USB 3 either

Go to the LG site search for the model get the update if it's there. Follow instructions. Or if its wireless get it online, it may update it

Solution