LG LED TV, picture is black but audio works?

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I purchased my LG42LN5700 in December of 2013. When I turn it on the LG splash screen comes up for a second, it's bright. However, the screen then turns instantly black. I have the screen on vivid and at 100. The only way to see the screen is put a flashlight on it. I even tried Chromecast. It works but the screen is still black. My cable works, audio is fine, screen is still black.

Is there anyway to fix this or something fried?

Sounds to me like the panel's back lighting has failed. If you have tried every input, and you still get the same result, then the back lighting is definately to blame. Even when you turn the back light down, you still see a glow from the panel, maybe get someone reputable to look at it, as the unit is not exactly old just yet.

Edit: Maybe even speak to LG, they may be able to help! Some company's still have very good customer service, and may be able to point you in the right direction! https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair-mylg-login

Good luck.

K.

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
Yep, all input where tried. Like I said my Fios cable works, even Chromecast works. However, everything is black. I'll go into settings, however I have to shine a flash light on the screen to see anything because everything is completely pitch black.

The TV was used almost every night as night light too for my son for well over a year and a half. The tv was in his room and we would leave the tv on with the screensaver and put the tv on dim so it was like a night light. Did this almost everyday, 5-9 hours each night. I wonder if that was just too much for it? It worked earlier yesterday then after he got home it was just blacked out.

I guess I could find a tv repair place around here but I've read replacing parts could get more expsensive then simply replacing the tv?

I'll call LG but it being over 2 years old I have no warranty.

Hi, yeah, this could be the problem. It is such a lottery with panels on tv's these days. Such a shame as there is nothing else wrong with it. But from the symptoms you describe, it really does sound like the back lighting has packed up. It would be worth speaking with LG, as they may be able to help. But you are absolutely right that generally speaking when modern day TV's give up, they are 90% of the time, too expensive to repair.
On the other hand i had a Samsung 46" which i bought in 2008, and the panel only gave up in january of this year! That was used every night for between 5-6 hours. It really is a lottery. Generally speaking though, the better brands such as LG and Samsung, tend to be more reliable.

Do not give up just yet, before you have spoken to LG and made some more enquiries locally.

All the best, and good luck.

K.

budmonster

Honorable
Nov 18, 2013
I had it unplugged over night. I checked again this morning. I looked at the back of the tv while on and I didn't see any lights coming through the back either.

Is it def the inverter?

McGrundle

Prominent
Jul 9, 2017
Were you able to have this issue resolved via repair and do you know what was wrong? I have the same issue on my LG 55LN5700 and after a little reading, replaced the power board. It fixed the problem for about 30 min then the screen went black and I was back to square one. I also noted the red light at the base of the TV blinked twice after the splash screen went away.

Oct 14, 2018
Hi, I have same problem now, did you manage to get it fixed?

Jan 18, 2019

Jan 18, 2019
*********PROBLEM. SOLVED on BLACK SCREEN ISSUE*********I had the same problem so I unplugged the hdmi2 cable from the box and plugged it into my laptop . Now I had a screen on the tv that I could navigate with the LG remote. Clicked on home then on picture turns out the sleep mode some how had been turned on. So turned it off Plugged the hdmi cord back into cable box and instant picture was back. I hope this can help someone on down the line before they go replace theirs