LG Reveals New Lineup of OLED, Ultra HD TVs

Status
Not open for further replies.

digiex

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
Why all OLED TV's are ridiculously large, can they make smaller models for the poor man like me so that I can also enjoy the brilliance of color of OLED displays in my living (smaller than a rich man's bathroom) room...?

WithoutWeakness

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
They don't WANT to make models for the "poor man". They want to take this new tech and charge a premium for it and maximize profits while there are only a few models on the market. The easiest way to charge more money is to make it bigger, which is why I would expect to see more 65" and 70" models before we ever see a 42" OLED model for an average living room. As long as there are only a handful of companies making OLED television displays they will remain expensive. That's how capitalism works.

tului

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2010
Think of not having smaller affordable models this way: The rich bastards are paying to beta test and perfect this for we the proles.

realibrad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2007
The reason the 4K TVs are so large has nothing to do with greed. 4K is still very expensive to produce. If a 46'' 4k TV costs $8000 to build, and a 55'' costs $9000 to build then you build the 55'' TV. The reason you would do this is because anyone in the market for a $8000 tv is not looking for savings, they are looking for top of the line and do not care about cost. They also likely have a larger room to put that TV in, and a 46'' TV would not be as good of a fit as a 55'' TV. Thus, any 4k TV they make that is not targeted to those who have large amounts of cash to burn on opulence will not get sold. For now, 4k TVs will be very expensive until the cost of production is lowered.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
@tului: sounds like the rich "bastards", as you call them, are providing a service for the poor pricks, doesn't it?
Is anyone richer than thou a bastard? Or just the ones that buy stuff that you want, but can't afford?
Bottom line: easy with the labeling.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I get so sick and tired of you whiners out there whining about companies being "greedy" when they introduce new tech. Do you mouth breathers not understand the ENORMOUS COST that goes into R&D on new tech that needs to be offset, let alone the small economies of scale for them at release?

The amount of economic ignorance there is utterly astounding, but not surprising these days with the useful ignorant idiots our schools, colleges, and universities are pumping out today.

/rant off

BigMack70

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2007
4k doesn't have to be super expensive to produce... several models like the seiki 39" available under $1k. It all depends on the panel type. Cheap 4k screens worth buying will be here as soon as hdmi 2.0 is implemented.

The reason these cost so much is that they are still working out mass production techniques. So a lot of manual labor goes into building these sets along with other R&D costs.

If it wasn't for new tech costing so much. We likely would not have many devices we have now. As it's rich people buying stuff first that provides the funding and incentive to develop a technology and production methods. So that a few years down the road it becomes cheap for the masses.

Would we have cell phones today if rich people hadn't bought them in the 80's and 90's? Plus the more primitive iterations going back decades earlier. Would the car have ever made it anywhere if the wealthy didn't buy them first? Even the industrial revolution wouldn't have happened if the wealthy didn't buy clocks and other clockwork trinkets and toys going back to the middle ages.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
I hope more companies concentrate on 65in+ TV's as 4k is pointless below this (pointless at 65 even?). I have no interest in a TV below 65in today and probably want 70in+ in the next few years. I think an 84in screams 4k at normal viewing distances. Most people won't see much from 4K without going HUGE.

Status
Not open for further replies.