LG Smart TVs May Spy on Users, Blogger Says

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
"If you do not want us to share your personally identifiable information in this manner, please do not provide us with this information."

...lol, in other words, "If you don't want us to share your personally identifiable information, please do not buy our TVs."

Okay.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
this is one reason why my smart tv is just a tv....not connected to the internet....i pity the fools who think that they are safe and secure...wait...nvm

Immaculate

Honorable
Mar 26, 2013
If I use something else for Netflix, Hulu w/e you watch, TV not connected ethernet nor wifi will it still send the information through HDMI? If I Just use a USB stick for updates?

otacon

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2005
@Immaculate

It's technically possible, as HDMI is a bidirectional interface. however, it is designed for packet streams, and not data blocks. LG would have to be down right unethical to configure it's HDMI ports to do something like that. If you don't have your LG smart tv connected via Ethernet or WiFi you're fine.

10tacle

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2008
I've got an LG "smart" TV and like others here, do not have it connected to my network for just this reason. The only reason I even bought one with all the gadgets is because it seems that is about all that's available anymore with a decent amount of input options (usually basic HDTVs have just one or two HDMI inputs, no optical, no VGA-PC, etc.). I stream from my PS3 for Netflix and surf with a tablet or laptop in the living room. Any flash update needed will be done with a USB drive with the update downloaded to it from LG's support page.

Darkk

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2003
I too have one of these LG Smart TV and got it connected to the Internet. After reading this not anymore. I did notice it was giving me mini ADs on the TV's home page and didn't think too much of it since I also use the OTA guide to see what is on my local stations. I use Roku and PS3 for streaming anyway. Now it even sends out filenames right off the USB...or even right off your DLNA server!!

Good job LG. Love your products but hate the fact you also invade our privacy so putting a block on my hardware firewall to keep it from spying on me anymore. Shame on you LG!

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
Just because the server returns 404 does not mean data collection doesn't actually happen. All the data does make it to the server after all.

How's that for a conspiracy theory?

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
@agnickolov: I was thinking the same thing. They capture the data, and then return a 404 to make news reporters think they didn't.

Excuse me while I go unplug my TV and receiver.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
LOL @anyone who believes a 404 error means they didn't get your data. That error is just for show. Does their policy state they will collect your FILENAMES? I understand data you enter or approve, but collection of filenames on personal drives NOT part of your TV seems excessive (no it IS excessive and invading my private viewing habits). You're saying you have rights to anything and everything I may hook to the tv and not just your own data? Use your firewall or your router to kill this (block the mac or if that isn't possible set IP to static and block that etc). Many ways to kill this.

Status
Not open for further replies.