LG TV Oled65B7 - Yamaha Receiver TSR-5830 HDMI Problem

tomqa

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
My TV is connected to the Yamaha receiver using the HDMI 2 connection on the TV (which is also ARC) to the HDMI Out (ARC) port on the Yamaha. A DirecTV, Roku Premire and a Samsung 4K BD player are connected to the Yamaha. The problem is that TV doesn't always show a picture and/or gives a message that there is no input, even though the TV "Inputs" display shows the Yamaha on HDMI 2. All I want is a dumb TV monitor, that displays a 4K picture. based on the input I select. I tried turning off the TV's SIMPLINK HDMI-CEC and that doesn't seem to make a difference.
I called LG support and was told the TV is designed to be the control hub, so I should connect all of the input devices directly to the TV. That doesn't work for my configuration. They wouldn't comment on using a home theater receiver as the hub.
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
Try a different HDMI input on the TV. You don't need to use ARC in your present hookup unless you use the TV tuner. If you get it working then add an optical cable to replace ARC.
Try a different HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. It can make a difference even if you get a picture with the same cable when connected to a source directly.
Try turning off any video processing or scaling in the receiver.
Try a different HDMI input on the TV. You don't need to use ARC in your present hookup unless you use the TV tuner. If you get it working then add an optical cable to replace ARC.
Try a different HDMI cable from the receiver to the TV. It can make a difference even if you get a picture with the same cable when connected to a source directly.
Try turning off any video processing or scaling in the receiver.

Solution

tomqa

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
Thanks for your suggestions!
I'm confused my the purpose of ARC. Do I need ARC to watch a movie on the TV's Netflix app and hear the sound through the receiver?
I'll try your suggestions and report back.

May 14, 2018
ARC stands for AUDIO RETURN CHANNEL and just brings the sound from the TV to the Home theatre system via the same HDMI CABLE that runs between the tv and HTS . This same HDMI cable bring picture and sound to the tv when coming from the HTS , THAT IS MY UNDERSTANDING OF IT ANYWAY BUT I COULD BE WRONG .
i am beginning to think LG tv have a problem with the ARC part of their tv as i have a similar problem and every second post here involves ARC problems on Lg tv.
. i couldnt get the ARC to work either on my tv .
Have you tried an optical toslink spdif cable for the sound between the appliances and i mean between the yamaha and the tv appliance , it might work as this is for sound only and works based on light impulses between the appliances in this case the Yamaha and TV and you get dolby digital sound aswell from my experience , this is what i had to do and although i am still learning through trial and error and forums like this as LG customer support wasnt much help . .thanks to all involved on here for the advice bye the way .

tomqa

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
My solution was to return the Yamaha and buy a Pioneer VSX-LX302 receiver, and then use the Toslink cable for TV audio, rather than the ARC. I think the LG has a problem with switching between devices, i.e. DirecTV, Roku, BD player, but it doesn't seem to be fighting with the Pioneer like it did the Yamaha. I have to give credit to Costco because that refunded the price of the Yamaha at five months of use (torture).