Lightning damaging HDMI

May 16, 2018
First off, my apologies for the long post, but the details are necessary to fully explain my issue.

I have been having an ongoing issue with the HDMI connection from my Cox Communications (Contour) cable box during thunderstorms. When there is lightning in the area I freguently end up with either a fried HDMI output on my cable box or damaged HDMI input on my devices, sometimes both. So far I have had inputs on 2 HDMI switches damaged and multiple HDMI inputs damaged on 2 different HT Receivers (1 Yamaha and 1 Denon) The only damage that occurs is to either the cable box HDMI output, or the HDMI input that the cable box is connected to. I have 3 other devices connected via HDMI (Apple TV, X-Box 360, Blueray) that have never been damaged. All devices are plugged into the same power source.

Cox has come out several times and replaced the box and "checked" the system but claim there is no issue and will not pay to replace my damaged equipment. I do know that there is NOT a ground at the tap, nor is there a ground block on my drop. They say that is fine since it is grounded upstream at the amplifier (Several hundred feet away). All devices are connected to a high quality surge protector, and I have also installed a surge protector on the cable feed and in the HDMI path between the cable box and my devices. In total I have had 9 HDMI inputs and 5 cable boxes damaged over the past 2 years, and I am going to have to replace yet another HT receiver because there are no longer enough functioning HDMI inputs.

I am at my wits end with this and will likely end up changing providers, unfortunately Cox is the only provider where I live that can provide high speed internet (100M+) I can get FIOS, but because of the way my neighborhood was wired, I can only get XDSL at 35m. I will likely keep my Cox internet and subscribe to Layer 3 TV. I am almost positive that the issue is with Cox, but before I go through the hassle of changing services, I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions as to what else besides Cox could be the issue, or other options to fix. I am tired of replacing expensive equipment.

Solution
Hi there Rritch,

I will be glad to assist you in your problems that you are experiencing right now. Well I'm just giving a tip that you shouldn't use cox cable as they are really expensive and buying a new cable time by time is seriously a type of headache. Buy a router or something it will save a lot of money and you will be able to experience fast network too.

Solution regarding your issue:
=======================
You can attach a ground cable to your house so even if the lighting strikes your cables won't be damaged and this way you can also use your cox cable will produce results safely. You can also use the support from Cox original website regarding this issue.

If this doesn't help then just reply to this thread I will be happy...

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017
Hi there Rritch,

I will be glad to assist you in your problems that you are experiencing right now. Well I'm just giving a tip that you shouldn't use cox cable as they are really expensive and buying a new cable time by time is seriously a type of headache. Buy a router or something it will save a lot of money and you will be able to experience fast network too.

Solution regarding your issue:
=======================
You can attach a ground cable to your house so even if the lighting strikes your cables won't be damaged and this way you can also use your cox cable will produce results safely. You can also use the support from Cox original website regarding this issue.

If this doesn't help then just reply to this thread I will be happy to assist you again.

Warm Regards,
Acme Gamer

Solution

acmegamers97

Prominent
Aug 30, 2017

Hi there Rritch,

I also wanted to thank you for such a great detail it really helped me out to figure out the main issue. So don't worry long and detail posts, is what we need to solve a problem better and more efficiently.

Warm Regards,
Acme Gamer

SugarPsycho

Estimable
Sep 12, 2015

If this does not work make sure a electrical wire is not touching your cox cable as it could be causing the electricity to jump (this would be in the wall)