Lightweight virus software

mxknight77

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
First off, i'd like the state that I'm an experienced browser and hardly ever even run a virus scanner. Windows defender has been fine over the past few years, but lately it just sits there and uses 30% of my cpu which is insane because I have an overclocked i5. Since I haven't used virus software over the years I'm out of touch with them. I use to use avast and plan on using it agian because it has game mode. Can anything think of a better solution that is light on resources? Like I said I'm an experienced web browser and don't need anything too fancy. Oh and upgrade to premium version messages, and ads flashed in my face is also an instant turn off (why I stopped using malware-bytes).

Solution
For those of you out there that are looking for a basic, lightweight antivirus, I suggest Panda. The last couple of days I've tried a few AV programs and here's my takes on a few AV programs.

Avast - Used over 40 megs of ram and gave tons of false positives.
Windows Defender - Somehow used 30% of my cpu
Bitdefender - Terririble GUI and uses 500mb of ram
Panda - My personal favorite. Uses 8mb of ram, but doesn't offer good website browsing protection.

So, I'm still looking for a decent AV >.<

mxknight77

Estimable
Oct 11, 2015
For those of you out there that are looking for a basic, lightweight antivirus, I suggest Panda. The last couple of days I've tried a few AV programs and here's my takes on a few AV programs.

Avast - Used over 40 megs of ram and gave tons of false positives.
Windows Defender - Somehow used 30% of my cpu
Bitdefender - Terririble GUI and uses 500mb of ram
Panda - My personal favorite. Uses 8mb of ram, but doesn't offer good website browsing protection.

So, I'm still looking for a decent AV >.<

Solution

Haza07155

Estimable
Feb 10, 2015
I have previously avast as it is free and the according to many websites, it is the most reliable. however it was using 15-30% of my CPU, so i installed Symantec endpoint protection to test its strength and CPU usage. It runs between 2-6% CPU usage, and the strength is amazing. I highly recommend it.