Logitech g633 dts headphone:x vs dolby surround sound?

Status
Not open for further replies.

abdurrahmaan

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Hi,

I have bought the Logitech g633 Artemis spectrum but I was wondering what the difference is between dts and dolby? I guess both of them are good for different things but which one is better for what?

Thanks

Solution
Neither matter for a headphone, since both are compression schemes for speaker systems. Just pick one and don't waste time with it

Starving Rtist

Commendable
Aug 6, 2016
Don't listen to basroil, he's talking about something else entirely.

Dolby Headphone and DTS Headphone X for Logitech G633 are software encoding methods. They convert surround sound from your movies or games into 2 channels so that your stereo headphones can simulate surround sound from just 2 drivers.

Those 2 are competing companies, their simulation and sound signatures vary a little(even though they are trying to accomplish the same goals). You just have to pick a better sounding one to your ears(everyone's ears are different). As for the surround effectiveness, test them both out with your favorite games and decide from that.

I personally find DTS Headphone X sounds much better than Dolby when it comes to music. I haven't tested them out with games yet, so it may be a different story with different applications.

1) Dolby Surround is ANALOG encoding methods, since they work by encoding additional data into the spatial dimension in an analog output. What you are describing is dolby digital, which is different. DTS, like dolby digital, is just digital encoding methods and absolutely no different (other than minor changes due to different compression schemes)
2) The point is that for headphones THERE IS NO NEED! You have two ears and two independent sources, anything that can be done through dolby surround can also be done by premixing (in fact, Direct X sound supports automatic mixing to headphones)
3) Both DTS and Dolby Surround are going to be worse than proper in-game downmixing to headphones.
4) Don't bother explaining about music or movies with those headphones, they are so bad at those types of input that it doesn't matter if you use either encoding scheme, both will sound like crap!

Jg2504

Commendable
Nov 11, 2016
What there saying but in English is basically Dolby and dts are very similar but depending on what your doing might make one better than the other. So just test out which one is better for what you do most of the Time.

Aerinx

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
That is FALSE. In theory it is possible, but games do not do that while supporting 5.1 or 7.1 sound output (that is used by Logitech sofware to mix and throw the effect into your ears, allowing you to enjoy 3D sound). I have seen not a single game that has virtual surround mix for headphones included.

k2thedevil

Commendable
Dec 8, 2016
If you are using an optical cable and from your source to the Headphone receiver ( you are likely getting 5.1 lossy discrete channels ). The fun begins after this. The DSP (Digital Signal Processor) on the receiver implements certain filters and mixers ( a little more complicated than that, but trying to put it simply) that basically transform 6 (5+1) channels into 2 (left ear + right ear). The idea is that, you only have two ears to listen from, so all you need is to take 5.1 discrete channels, use your proprietary algorithms and output "virtual 5.1" 2 channel (L+R) sound. The better the algorithm the lesser the difference between 5.1 input and "virtual 5.1" 2 channel output. Same logic goes for 7.1 and so on.

Personally, I have used a 5.1 Virtual surround headset (probably not the best out there), and its pretty accurate. You get all the 6 channels discretely and uniquely identifiable. So your purchase is good. If you can set it up correctly, you will have a ch

When it says Dolby and DTS, its referring to popular competing audio encoding schemes which the receiver understands. The more the merrier, but not necessarily better.

sashwinraaj

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015

mac_angel

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2008
way too much hate and anger in forums, and not enough useful information.

DTS and Dolby Digital are surround formats. They started off as 5.1, and then 7.1.Both also have their own version of 'lossless' (uncompressed) audio for Blurays, Dolby Digital HD and DTS: Master Audio. Now they are into Dolby Atmos and DTS-X, which is what your headphones 'simulate'. I found this forum because I'm an audiophile and looking for a good set of headphones that support either Dolby Atmos and/or DTS-X.
Dolby Digital is a more common format, DTS has a higher bit rate (more information. Sort of like saying 16bit colour vs 32bit colour, though not as big of a difference as that).
The new Dolby Atmos and DTS-X standards are meant to be 'channel free', but for transitioning purposes for people to understand, they are commonly referred to x.y.z. x being the number of speakers around the sides of the room, common being either 5 or 7. y being the subwoofer (low frequencies are non-directional, so you can't hear a 'stereo' sound from them, but you can hear a difference if you place them front and back. High end A/V receivers have an audio set up with a mic that balances your speakers for you), and z being the amount of speakers on the ceiling now, usually 2 or 4. If you go to the theaters now, look up and you'll see speakers on the ceiling now.
When you buy or download a movie and it says Atmos (not sure if there are any DTS-X blurays out yet) it is still playable on a 5.1 or 7.1 system, it just has an added audio encoding for systems that are Atmos and DTS-X enabled. As I said, they are meant to be 'channel free' because instead of being recorded and mixed as a 5.1 or 7.1 solution, they are specifically directional. New Atmos/DTS-X A/V receivers have that set up mic I mentioned earlier that measures what speakers you have and where they are in your 3D space (you have to move the mic around a few different places and it measures the distance for each by sound). Both Dolby Atmos and DTS-X support up to 32 speakers total, but a minimum is a 5.1.2 configuration, meaning you have to add the ceiling speakers. The sound is positional, not channel based.
Now, as for headphones. What the argument here is that they are 2 channel, and the surround audio is simulated. But what people are forgetting is that we only have two ears to begin with, so you could say that even a 32 speaker set up is still only going to be 'stereo'. Realistically, though, we know that if we hear something in front of us, it sounds different than what it would behind us, or above us. The technology behind the surround sound headphones takes those 'channels', or with the new format like your headphones, the direction of the sound, including sounds made above you. So far Star Wars Battlefront and Blizzard's Overwatch support Dolby Atmos. I'm not sure if Battlefield 1 does, I'm looking into that now as well.
Anyway, bottom line is all surround headphones are simulated, but so is all audio we listen to anyway since we only have two ears. With the headphones, it's just simulated for us ahead of time.

an easy little test you can do with any regular headphones is to download Razer Surround. It's a program that will convert the audio for any stereo headphones and turn it into a 7.1 surround system and has a test button where you can see a circle and shows where the sound you hear should be coming from in relation to where you are, and it rotates 'around' you. You can easily hear the difference, and it will make it sound like there really is sound coming behind you from these stereo headphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.