Logitech G930 vs Turtle Beach HPA2 Headsets

Homeuser

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Ok, forgive me if I posted in the wrong section. If so, can someone please move it.

Basically, I would like to know if anyone has tried either of the two head sets. My old Logitech wrap around is on the fritz and Logitech is willing to give me 50% off my next set.

I am torn between the Logitech G930 (Found Here: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/headsets/devices/7248 )
which are completely wireless. 7.1 surround sound.

Then there is the turtle beach HPA2 (found here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826502011) which are 5.1 surround sound.

I have read a many reviews for the Turtle Beach but only 2 of the Logitech's as they are brand new.

What is everyone's opinion?

lee3821

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
Well, this is just common sense, and might be wrong...but...usually Logitech doesn't price their products obscenely above what they're worth, so if you can get 50% off, then that's probably a better deal that the HPA2's, although I have heard good things about them.

I have the HPA2's( non-usb) and they work very well. From the research I did before buying them non-usb was recommended.

I haven't heard any wireless headphones but I have listened to wireless speakers and they don't sound very good. So I assume wireless headphones would have the same problem.

Homeuser

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
thanks for all the replies...(2)...lol...I decided to go with the Logitech wireless ones. all the reviews on the HPA2's had a lot of problems and issues with them after a while. I figured, like lee said, it's 50% off, I don't have that much to loose. I know of others that have the Logitech G930's and they love them and have no issues...I guess, I'll post back later and let you know how they are...for now. Thanks! to the both of you....

Homeuser

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Ok, here's the low down:

Since I had the Turtle Beach HPA2's first, they didn't work well for me. Now wether I got a bum pair or what, I sent them back.

Logitech G930:

Installation: So easy a Caveman can do it... Inserted disk, installed required software, inserted the USB chord (I believe it was called a Dongle) that is required to charge the headset when needed. It also comes with a USB port on this thing for the Wifi Adapter. The software tells you when to plug in the USB Dongle, you then configure the headset to your likings. Use the Equalizer if you choose. I chose not to. If you have a lower end sound card, this would work just as good for you, as it uses the USB port on your computer and not your sound card.

My first attempt to use them, as I was excited at first, I just turned them on and went immediately into Team Speak. Here I had my first issue...I could hear myself talking whenever I keyed/mic'd up. I don't know exactly what I did to fix it, but it's gone. Everyone in TS could hear me clearly and I heard them perfectly as well.

A few days later, while gaming, I had an audio problem, it would cut out and I wouldn't hear anything for almost 5-10 seconds. then it would come back..I realized that my wifi router was too close to my Dongle with the transmitter in it, causing an interference. The Fix: I moved it to the other side of my Desk.

The Sound:

The sound quality is Awesome!! It is fully 7.1 surround sound, although it is software driven and not separate speakers in each head phone doing its own job.

It has Voice Morphing software that I'm not interested in, so I don't use it. It also has 3 G keys that you can't customize for different Apps, as of yet. They are defaulted to Windows Media Player, Win Amp, G930 Voice Morphing, G930 Audio, Ventrilio 3.05, Power DVD 8.0, and Win DVD 9.0. I'm hoping in the future, unless I haven't figured out how yet, you will be able to customize these keys to what ever you want.

The Microphone:

It's noise canceling. I have been told I sound extremely clear. And, in the past, if I was to turn my head towards my fan that was cooling me down on a hot day/night, no one would hear me, but this isn't the case with these. I tested it and I talked looking directly at my running fan and everyone still heard me just as clear.

In short, I will post more about the G930's when I get used to them more, but for now, this is my opinion and what I have experienced so far.

leaver2000

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2008
I picked up a pair of the HPA2's durring neweggs black friday sale in november, a deal i could not pass up. I have noticed a slight issue with the headpones inorder to avoid squealing from the speakers i have to turn the computer output down to almost 25% and the headset up to 75-85%. Just wondering if this is normal, is upgrading my stock realtek sound card going to do anything think i should RMA?