Logitech Z 2300 Repair or replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.

btmedic04

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
Hey folks, many years ago I purchased a Logitech Z 2300 2.1 speaker system and it was awesome. well when I got off of active duty and moved into an apartment, I moved over to head sets and gave my dad the old Z 2300's and he loved them. He ended up taking them to work and hooked them up to his radio but one day someone on night shift ended up running them for 10 hours at maximum volume and blew them. one of the neoprene gaskets is completely shot and theres an audible buzzing sound from the sub. Dad was not happy and brought the remains home. He ended up getting a set of Logitech Z 623's however he isn't happy with their performance and wants to try to repair the Z 2300s because they're no longer made and purchasing a new set is grossly marked up. Another option is to replace them with a different set of speakers. Has anyone undertaken a project like this? if so could you point me to a guide? if not, what speakers would you recommend as a replacement? I see Klipsch still makes the promedia 2.1's but he's very dubious about the 6.5" sub having the same power as the 8" on the Z 2300's.

Solution
there are a few google you tube videos of people opening and swapping the speakers inside. you need to open them up and see the model number of the speakers and there rating to do a one for one swap.

boju

Distinguished
Yeah, replacing drivers should be possible. Hopefully there be more info related to ohms and frequencies on the rear end of the driver magnet useful for replacement.

Get the driver specs close enough in sound frequency range, watts/ohms and diameter and mounting screw locations will be important so you can mount it back to the box properly without any air leakes and maintain speaker box accoustics.

Speaker/sub drivers are sold in large varieties so there should be a match somewhere. Even car speakers might be an avenue depending on screw locations / minimal customisation (drilling new holes on driver) and ohms/watts match or close enough.

btmedic04

Estimable
Mar 12, 2015
I checked the fuse and it is still good, so hopefully the electronic components are still in order because i think sourcing those would be difficult. doing some cursory digging, I found THIS thread on toms guide and it has a lot of information regarding specifications so hopefully that helps us hunt down similar parts. I also recall my dad saying there was an issue with the control module, but I've found that new ones are able to be purchased. I think what we'll do is tear it apart and inspect the electronic components including the power supply, fix the sub and the satellites and see if the control module is broken or see if its just a symptom of the speakers being blown

Status
Not open for further replies.