fANAT1C_1337

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
Hello all

about 2 weeks ago I contacted Philips helpdesk to ask if it is possible to hook up my Logitech z906 speakers to my TV.

As said before my speaker set is the Logitech z906 5.1. So the guy from the Philips helpdesk told me it is possible to hook up these speakers to my Philips TV using an optical toslink cable. The same day I went to the store and bought an optical toslink cable. So what's the problem then you wonder? Well, the Philips helpdesk co-operator didn't really understand my question I think.

When I came home and tried the toslink cable on my TV there was no such connection on my TV. Only on my Logitech z906 which does have an optical out toslink connector. Lucky enough I need these speakers mainly because I want to use them for playing on my PlayStation 4. As the PS4 DOES have that optical connector I am a bit lucky because that is working just fine with my speakers.

The only problem actually is that I want them to work when I'm watching television aswell. How do I connect my speakers to my TV, and not to my PS4 or digital TV decoder?

My TV is a Philips PFL 325605H/12 and this is an image to all the connectors my TV has on the back or side panel. http://images.philips.com/is/image/PhilipsConsumer/32PFL5605H_12-COP-global-001?wid=2688&hei=1400&fit=constrain&$jpgsmall$

This is a link to all the connectors on the back panel of my Logitech z906 speakers. http://static.trustedreviews.com/94/b2d771/0594/iopanel.jpg

I really need help with this... thanks in advance

Solution
Hi, according to the Phillips back panel you have an Digital Coaxial out, this might work in your favor because your speakers also has an Digital Coaxial input.

Input #5:
b2d771%7C0594_iopanel.jpg

Connect with Digital Coaxial cable:

ATVL-DC-4.jpg

boju

Distinguished
Hi, according to the Phillips back panel you have an Digital Coaxial out, this might work in your favor because your speakers also has an Digital Coaxial input.

Input #5:
b2d771%7C0594_iopanel.jpg

Connect with Digital Coaxial cable:

ATVL-DC-4.jpg

Solution

fANAT1C_1337

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
So this means the guy from the Philips help centre (I used their live chat online to contact them) made me buy the wrong cable? Thanks for your help however, it seems that I purchased the wrong cable and need the one you provided and not a toslink one. Thank you very much!

fANAT1C_1337

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
I figured out about the difference between digital and optical right before your posted. But I appreciate your help. Optical = glass fibre, digital = coax. Now I know what that #5 output is for lol! thank you really :)

boju

Distinguished
No problem. Keep in mind though, TV's generally only output 2 channels via optical or coax. More expensive TVs may output compressed DTS/Dolby 5.1 but are rare.

Digital Coax can carry 5.1 but will be up to your TV's audio decoder whether it outputs in the form of compressed 5.1 DTS/Dolby sound track for your speakers to decode. Otherwise 2.1.