Logitech Z906 - PC (spdif - analog)

xartemporas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013
Hello! I just Ordered Z906 speakers today.

I am willing to use optical connection, with spdif , from my on board sound chip.
My mobo is ASUS P7P55D. On Board Sound Chip is VIA vt1828s 8-channel hd audio. As i looked in specs, it has Dolby Digital Live and DTS connect.. [link is here: http://www.via.com.tw/en/products/audio/codecs/vt1828s/

After a lot of searching today, i realised that if i want to play games through spdif with true 5.1 sound, and not through z906' 3D, i need this dolby digital live or dts connect decoding..
As for movies, i think that i must choose spdif out from my player just to have true 5.1.

at soundacrd's control panel , in spdif settings, it has a button "dts interactive" which can pushed on or off.. Will it work that way? I hope so..
i'd prefer not to spend more money for an extra sound card if i can do my job with this.

And i want to ask if finally, it is worth it to connect it with spdif? Will i have better sound quality? Or just connect it through analog cables.
With Analog i take 5.1 sounds normally?
thanx.

spdif or hdmi are generally regarded as the best ways to connect for sound. will you hear a difference over analog cables? probably not unless you're an audiophile.

i believe in spdif mode the speaker system decodes the signal bypassing your soundcard and when using 3.5mm cables it relies on the soundcard to do the processing.

personally i'd just leave it hooked up via spdif unless you have issues. just wait until you get the speakers and play around with them.

xartemporas

Honorable
Mar 3, 2013

thanks!

yes, from the things i know, it is true, with spdif , you let the job for system speaker's DAC to do, and with analog decoding is done with sound card's DAC.

I can't wait for them to come, to do some tests.

I just wanted to ask another thing..how many hours do i have to play the z906 in low volume at first days?

i've heard of doing such for high end speakers but never for pc speakers. i wouldnt play them at max volume for a bit but dont see an issue with halfway. if the manual doesnt specifically list a time period then i wouldnt worry too much about this.

you could look it up to see what others say but i've been around on this forum at least and it hasnt come up before.