Longevity of Nvidia Geforce 840m

SilasBD

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015
I bought my laptop earlier this year for work and to play all the recent games at least somewhat fluently. So far I have played Far Cry 4, Battlefield Hardline , Dying Light, GTA V, The witcher 3 and so on and with the exception of Witcher (I get around 20-25+ fps but still playable and since it was an amazing game, just had to play!) I can play all of these games at 30+ fps on 720p. Resolutions are not really a big concern for me as long as I can play a game fluently enough.

I am just wondering how long will my gpu will be able to play these modern demanding games before I have to upgrade to a better laptop or hopefully a gaming pc, will it last say another 2 more years or that stretching a bit too much ? I live in Bangladesh and even a low end gaming pc/laptop is very expensive, so I need this timeframe to analyze how much time I got before I can fully save up for my next pc/laptop and in the meantime use the most of what I got.

My Specs:

ASUS K555LN-5500U

Intel Core i7 5th Gen 5500U, 2.4 GHz (3.00 GHz by Turbo Frequency) 4MB Cache
8 GB DDR3 1600 Bus RAM
1 TB SATA HDD
Nvidia Geforce GT 840M 2GB
15.6" 16:9 HD (1366 X 768) LED Backlight

P.S. I researched a bit and found the two year old laptop gpu geforce 640m can play most recent games too, so thats why I am having this inquiry.

Solution
An 840m will likely be able to play new games out in the next few years at least on low settings and at your 720 resolution. It is a low end video card for games though. Next laptop go up to a medium range system if you want to have decent experience with games and have it last more than a few years. If you got an 860/960m or faster, you would not be thinking about spending money on a second laptop already. A few extra spent now means a lot saved later.

SilasBD

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

I have indeed started saving already, but because its so expensive, I will need at least another year to save up enough money to buy a decent mid range gaming pc, so thats that.

An 840m will likely be able to play new games out in the next few years at least on low settings and at your 720 resolution. It is a low end video card for games though. Next laptop go up to a medium range system if you want to have decent experience with games and have it last more than a few years. If you got an 860/960m or faster, you would not be thinking about spending money on a second laptop already. A few extra spent now means a lot saved later.

Solution

SilasBD

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

Thank you! I did some research before buying this laptop and it looked good on the paper and honestly the gaming performance is satisfactory too, but after buying it I realized there were laptops with far better gpus out there if only I increased the budget a bit which I had that time but unfortunately my knowledge in gpu's was not as good as its now. Thats why I have decided to buy a desktop in future for gaming.

Also I will say this, this site is seriously satisfactory. I would post threads on the geforce forums and never even got a reply, so thank you all again .

atomicWAR

Distinguished
Herald
Sep 4, 2007
yeah if possible get a GTX 960m or even better a GTX 970M (or equivalent) if you want your system to last a bit longer, be able to game at 1080P in most titles with medium to high setting and some filtering depending on whether you go medium or high.

SilasBD

Estimable
Oct 25, 2015

Yeah, lesson learned, while buying Nvidia gpu's, always go for the gtx ones cos lower than that will leave you with inquiries like this haha.