Looking for a budget programming/light gaming laptop...

smoothbeginner100

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015
Hello!

I'm an absolute beginner looking to get into programming.I'm still deciding on which language i'm going to be learning, but i guess that doesn't matter.I will be programming basic apps and very basic 2D games.I prefer an IPS panel, but i guess TN is okay as well.An SSD is optional.

A dedicated GPU is prefered, since i plan to take breaks from coding since it can be exhausting.I will be mostly playing not so demanding games like Minecraft, KSP @ preferably medium settings and some online games.

As for my budget, it honestly doesn't matter.I want the cheapest one that meets the requirements i listed above.

Thank you.

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

For an absolute beginner, no it doesn't, even if you need to compile code. And even if you were an advanced user, unless you're doing it for a job, the length of time to compile code is not a big deal. Maybe if you were compiling many dependent projects, but the only time I've seen that matter is when working for very large companies (which I do) and in that case, you'll be assigned a top of the line laptop or you'll be compiling on a server anyways.

OP, That laptop would work fine by the way.

smoothbeginner100

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015

Price looks ok for the specs honestly.But, is there a bit cheaper alternative? Just asking.
Also: is this one ok? http://www.techbargains.com/deal/436888/intel-quad-core-laptop

bliq

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006

For an absolute beginner, no it doesn't, even if you need to compile code. And even if you were an advanced user, unless you're doing it for a job, the length of time to compile code is not a big deal. Maybe if you were compiling many dependent projects, but the only time I've seen that matter is when working for very large companies (which I do) and in that case, you'll be assigned a top of the line laptop or you'll be compiling on a server anyways.

OP, That laptop would work fine by the way.

smoothbeginner100

Estimable
Sep 4, 2015

Oh yeah, thanks for asking! I doubt there will be visual modelling, just simple and plain coding, if that helps enough.As i said, i'm just a beginner.I ain't working for a large company, i'm keeping this at home as a hobby.

rgd1101

Polypheme

depend, we use VS for our web and it compile on local pc, and a quad do help. And lucky you. we don't have the top of the line laptop.
ERP system compile on the server.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Laptop General Discussion 0
A Laptop General Discussion 5
F Laptop General Discussion 1
B Laptop General Discussion 1
S Laptop General Discussion 6
N Laptop General Discussion 2
D Laptop General Discussion 5
H Laptop General Discussion 5
L Laptop General Discussion 4
D Laptop General Discussion 1