Looking for a defrag application

Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
the one in windows xp is asking me to have 200gb of free space, and that is just not going to happen, its lucky i have over 20.

i mean when windows xp was first made, i could see how it would need 10-15% of it hdd free, it was only build with a 120~ max in mind right? i could see a 15% necessarily for a 40gb drive, but i cant see why it cant defrag my system on 24gb of freespace, even if if the drive has 1397gb total space

so im looking for a less... crappy defrag program that can work in low space conditions.

Solution

What I like, u can set it to defrag files and ignore the size of the files if u want. U can select to defrag files that are 40MB and smaller, i will lead u to defrag only files that are small and really make the fragmentation.

Because your HDD can piece together files that are broken in to thirty large 40MB pieces faster, than hundreds of small ones, those slow the drive down...

It cuts the time needed to defrag, especially when u are out of space.

It has one more neat feature, u can select to move the system files to the beginning of the HDD, where are the heads, so it can look them up faster, withut looking...

nikorr

Distinguished
This will do it just fine.

Use Auslogics Disk Defrag @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_auslogics_disk_defrag/

Defrag and optimize
Free space consolidation
System files smart placement
Keeping the MFT reserved zone clear
Single file or folder defragmentation
List of fragmented files
Auto-defrag mode
Scheduled defragmentation
Customizing disk defrag

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
this program doesnt do anything like registry clean or the like where it thinks its doing me a favor but isnt? on system health it says junk files and registry, which makes me wonder/worry a bit. i don't want to run this while i sleep and wake up not knowing why something is broke.

asside from that thanks for the program.

aford10

Distinguished

Which program are you talking about?

If you're talking about defraggler, there's nothing to worry about. It's simply a program to condense hard drive fragments. If you want a registry cleaner, you'll want to use ccleaner after. That can clean the registry, and optimize by cleaning cache and wiping free space.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009

the first program, the second one only poped up after a i wrote what i did.
now ill look into defraggler too.

nikorr

Distinguished

What I like, u can set it to defrag files and ignore the size of the files if u want. U can select to defrag files that are 40MB and smaller, i will lead u to defrag only files that are small and really make the fragmentation.

Because your HDD can piece together files that are broken in to thirty large 40MB pieces faster, than hundreds of small ones, those slow the drive down...

It cuts the time needed to defrag, especially when u are out of space.

It has one more neat feature, u can select to move the system files to the beginning of the HDD, where are the heads, so it can look them up faster, withut looking all over the drive.

Do not bother to gefrag the page file.

And aford10 advised CCleaner, use it! Great free tool.
Get it @ http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Solution

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
2 1.5tb basically a mirror of each other for backup
1 250 gb

a 750gb that isn't outside the pc and in a case that doesn't work, need a new one, and a 120gb that is in a working case, but me pc doesn't see it as a valid hdd and "needs" to be formatted, but works fin on any other pc.

im burrning some files off that i found yesterday, it should five me an extra 20gb for the defrag program.

Status
Not open for further replies.