Looking for a Mobile Work Station

Atterus

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Hello all!

So, I am starting the process of figuring out the do's and dont's of finding a professional laptop for work. Largely because the "office" moves around alot for what I do so I have a desktop at home, and a laptop is ideal for work. I have experience building desktop gaming rigs, but laptops are a bit out of my element. But, for the record I'm not afraid to build my own or make modifications to machines after purchasing them (if that is even a thing with laptops).

So! I am a scientist that works heavily in chemometrics (lots of computations running on multiple cores and an unending need for speed). I'm looking for a small, lightweight, data safe, and computationally powerful laptop.

Essentially, I'm looking for a laptop that would be capable of running at speeds at or over 3.8 Ghz with as many cores as possible. The processor is probably the largest sticking point since faster is always better for us, and more cores allows us to run more calculations at once before slowing down. RAM isn't a big deal, as we never utilize more than 2 GB of it at max load on desktops. However, we do use MATLAB graphics from time to time and Google Earth so a good (not high end) graphics card is useful just so those don't run at a snails pace. While I'd like it to be smaller than 17", I understand that sometimes that simply isn't possible.

For the sake of preliminary research on laptops, cost isn't a big deal since by the time I actually end up buying anything the costs of current stuff should be a little lower. I'm happy to hear what the biggest meanest laptop is to the most budget conscious laptop build aimed specifically at my requirements. Mostly I'm trying to get a feel for what is out there and who to look at and who to avoid (in terms of brand, part manufacturer, etc) just by hearing suggestions :) Thanks ahead of time!

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010
There is no Mobile CPU that will reach over 3.8 GHz . if you want 3.8Ghz on a notebook it will be huge and heavy , but still portable.

now Listen carefully , you CAN fit Desktop CPU inside some notebook designed to take desktop CPU ... you will be free to get 4 cores i7 at 4Ghz or even 6 and 8 cores at 3.3 Ghz and 3Ghz.

the other way is to get a Mobile CPU Notebook , the extreme one will be 4 cores , the best mobile cpu available is the Core™ i7-4940MX which is 4 cores and 8 threads and run at 3.1Ghz

but before we continue , I need to know your budget .. those things are very expensive.

You could look into the lenovo workstations as they are going to put mobile xeon cpu's in the laptop that should be able to handle what you need. They should also have quadrino or amd fire pros which should be able to handle the 3d side of things for you.

The alternative is to look for a barebone laptop and customise it to your liking.

Atterus

Estimable
Jul 15, 2015
Yeah, I was poking around some Lenovo options. Budgetwise, In the end I'd be willing to spend a bit over 2k since it is likely some of the cost will get covered by work. Thanks for the suggestions so far! Great places to start :)

sna

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2010

this note book

https://www.originpc.com/gaming/laptops/eon17-x/

it is this Clevo actually

15 inch

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=807&lang=en

17 inch

http://www.clevo.com.tw/clevo_prodetail.asp?id=809&lang=en

allows you to install a DESKTOP latest GEN Intel Core i7 6700K Quad-Core 4.0GHz in it.

and it is the latest and fastest.