looking for a Quality Video Camera on a fixed income budget

abletudu

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I would like some recommendations as to a video camera that has good quality video as well as audio for about $200. I want to get it as a gift for my daughter-inlaw so she can record videos of my grandkids. Currently, she uses her cell phone and while the videos are barely passable, they are so tiny that you get the feeling that you are missing a lot. Also, the audio is not the best.

abletudu

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
@Kanewolf A new cell phone would not fill the bill as the width of the video would still be very narrow.

@TechNeeeQ It looks nice, but some of the reviews I've read said that the stabilization was shaky and it is only good in bright light.

Thank you both for your suggestions, but I guess I will have to keep looking.

kanewolf

Judicious

That is an operator problem. She needs to learn to rotate the phone when taking video.

99% of cellphones shoot in regular 16x9 aspect ratio, just as any camera or camcorder. Anything else is user error.

For $200 don't expect the world. Your budget is too low for high quality, so either settle for less or find a larger budget. You can also look at the Canon R600 line and a few sony hf models, but again you'll have to balance features and price.