Looking for an installation management program

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Hello. I am looking for software that will allow me to manage (review/approve) any new installations on my desktop computer. Sometimes my brother or other people use my computer during family events and I discovered there were some items installed that were not stopped by my anti-virus/firewall (maybe because they weren't trojans, etc.). But, whether it is a simple app like a PDF reader, a game, or something else, I really want to have it so any new installations require a login/password or something to that effect so I can control what is actually installed on my computer in my brief absence. Thanks!

Solution
Yeah best open create a separate Admin account and remove those rights from your personal account, to be honest as other have suggested you really should have a guest account. Even if you personal account doesn't have admin rights some one could screw up your preferred setting and trying to get them back to "normal"can be a pain. With a guess account you could just wipe the profile to reset back to defaults, also remember even if there was a software manager software if they are using your personal account with admin rights they would be able to get around since that's that whole point of having admin rights it gives you full rights to do what you want to a point of screwing up the OS.

Gatchaman

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
Well, I am looking for something a little more involved than that. An actual software program rather than non-admin/admin designations. I just prefer to use my personal account for guests and want to address this hiccup.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

The only way to do that then is to make your personal account not an Admin account. Then, setup another Admin account. There really is no software to do this because its all built into Windows as a feature.

ikaz

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
Yeah best open create a separate Admin account and remove those rights from your personal account, to be honest as other have suggested you really should have a guest account. Even if you personal account doesn't have admin rights some one could screw up your preferred setting and trying to get them back to "normal"can be a pain. With a guess account you could just wipe the profile to reset back to defaults, also remember even if there was a software manager software if they are using your personal account with admin rights they would be able to get around since that's that whole point of having admin rights it gives you full rights to do what you want to a point of screwing up the OS.

Solution