Looking for AV/Malware Protection after possibly being hacked/keylogged

tfitch11

Estimable
Oct 15, 2015
Hey Toms! Recently I had a lot of accounts randomly compromised, including Facebook, Amazon, Netflix + more. Per the message I received from Amazon, a list of emails + passwords was published somewhere, and I was one of those emails on it. I am in the horrible habit (which I'm trying to change) of using the same/variations of password on multiple sites. So the first thing I did was download 3 malware scanners: Malaware, Spybot Search and Destroy, and one other.

My ISP/employer provides free McAfee for us but I don't care for McAfee at all; it simply takes up too much CPU and carries a lot of crap with it. I am looking for a good AV + Spyware/Malware protector, hopefully free but low cost is good too. I have tried AVG but uninstalled because due to performance (just took up too much; not sure why). Am open to ideas.

Thanks!

In recent years, the premium options protection wise are Kapersky Total Security and Bit Defender Total Security.

This last test period, these were the top 4 finishers: (Protection / Performance / Usability Ratings). 3 of the 4 scored 5 outta 5 on protection. One scored 5/5 across the board

Kapersky Internet Security: 5.0 / 5.0 / 5.0

AVG Internet Security: 5.0 / 4.5 / 5.0

Norton Norton Security 2016: 5.0 / 4.5 / 5.0

Trend Micro Internet Security: 4.5 / 5.0 / 5.0

Each If you track them from month to month, you will find no one gets everything in every test.... so consistency rather than a single test result should be the basis of any evaluation.

One other thing to consider.... as a vendor gains market share, they tend to get a bit paranoid about pirating and licensing and administration can get a bit onerous. We just abandoned BD and moved to KA for that very reason though we also found troubleshooting with KA to be a lot less convoluted.

Each of the above typically can be found for about $10 per seat in a 3 pak for $29.95