Looking for some laptop buying opinions

rjharvie

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
First off I'm from Canada so ill mention both the CAD and USD prices and the laptop will be used mainly for web surfing, movies, etc. along with some gaming (not super heavy or intense) and lastly some autoCAD and/or civil 3D work. The laptop ive found is a lenovo ideapad 700 15" with an i5 6300hq, 8gb ddr4 ram, nvidia gtx 950 4gb graphics, 256gb ssd (no hdd though). Its regular $1239 CAD ($946usd) on for $939 cad ($717 usd). The sale ends today unfortunately. Link below:

http://shop.lenovo.com/ca/en/laptops/ideapad/700-series/700-15-inch/?sb=:000001CA:00007D33:#tab-customize

Basically do you guys think it will be okay for what i plan on using it for? My main thing was if the gtx 950 would be limiting and if going for the 960 would be the better route?

Solution
Probably too late to pick up one of the deals now. GDDR5 GPU is certainly going to offer more performance, and the 960 is creeping into the 'gaming' class cards.

With your budget I would shop around some more.

rjharvie

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Thanks for the answers guys! Unfortunately the logicbuy id have to pay duty on which could get fairly pricey and the newegg.ca (+1 for being a canadian source) is $400 more, a bit out of my budget unfortunately

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Yeah I figured. Just didn't know if you could use those links to potentially track down the same deal from Canada sources.

Newegg has the most comprehensive laptop search though, so you might try looking around on there. Though they don't often have the best deals.

rjharvie

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

I'll definitely give that site a look over for any possible Canadian deals. I agree completely about Newegg.ca

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Just being able to sort between discrete and integrated graphics is something that other retailers need to adopt. Sorting CPU by generation, also good.

With everyone else it is basically Intel/AMD and screen size.

rjharvie

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016

rjharvie

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
Do you think it would be better to go with the lenovo for the ssd and ddr4l over ddr3l ram and just buy a 7200rpm portable hard drive or the dell which has the better graphics card gtx 960 gddr5 vs 950 gddr3 though the dell hard drive is gonna run slower (5400rpm)?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
Probably too late to pick up one of the deals now. GDDR5 GPU is certainly going to offer more performance, and the 960 is creeping into the 'gaming' class cards.

With your budget I would shop around some more.

Solution