looking to upgrade

klater12

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015
My toshiba satellite series laptop model no. psah0u-00q009 is running windows vista. I dont have a recovery disk for vista. But i have a recovery disk for windows 7 would i be able to upgrade from vista to 7 using the windows 7 recovery disk?

klater12

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Thank you i hadn't noticed

Barty1884

Admirable
Do you have a "recovery disk" for a specific laptop? Or do you have a Windows 7 installation disk? (Slightly different).

If you have a W7 install disk, and a product key, then you could run that. If you have an OEM W7 disk, then you'll likely load up a bunch of bloatware you don't need (or that's even relevent if it's from a different laptop/brand), and chances are you wouldn't have a valid key.

klater12

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

its the windows 7 recovery disk for a toshiba satellite im not sure if i could just use the recovery straight to windows 7

Barty1884

Admirable
I doubt that'd work unfortunately.

Even if it did, the product key for the Toshiba is OEM and likely wouldn't work for activation.

You will need a genuine W7 product key, which will either be on the COA sticker underneath the laptop (if yours came pre-loaded with Vista, the key is for Vista and won't work for W7) or you will need to purchase a retail key from Microsoft/retailer.

klater12

Estimable
Jun 8, 2015

Do you think it would work if i could get the product key for the other toshiba laptop

hang-the-9

Titan

You can't use the OEM key from one system on another computer, even if the other system is no longer in use. You would either need a new full Windows 7 copy, or get the restore disk for Vista then get an upgrade copy of 7 or 8.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
2 Laptop Tech Support 3
Matoo69 Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 3
S Laptop Tech Support 6
H Laptop Tech Support 1
G Laptop Tech Support 1
prattbetta@ Laptop Tech Support 6
Z Laptop Tech Support 2
krishnamurthyuppara Laptop Tech Support 1
hubertkocur1337 Laptop Tech Support 2
G Laptop Tech Support 0