Lots of eGPUs running desktop GPUs. Any running mobile GPUs?

TheRealJEWbacca

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016
I've seen lots of eGPUs that run desktop graphics cards, but are there any designed around a mobile one? You might be asking why would you do that? The answer, portability. A desktop eGPU is quite cumbersome to take with you, but an eGPU built around a mobile GPU would be far more portable and easier to power (possibly over USB). This would allow you to turn your thunderbolt connectable ultrabook (read razer blade stealth) into a real gaming notebook while keeping it light and small. This would also allow for a far more portable eGPU, to allow you to game on the go when required.

Solution
You should also take into consideration that MXM format GPUs used in certain gaming laptops are not sold directly to the consumers. Therefore, any eGPU dock using a mobile GPU will likely already have a mobile GPU in it... and the the MXM version (think of it as a PCI-e card slot for laptops) will likely not be installed. Instead it would a mobile GPU that is soldered into the board.
It's a good idea but it's actually completely pointless.

The new GTX GPUs have evolved to the point where there are no mobile GPUs anymore. Full 1060s, 1070s, and 1080s run in laptops with the exact same specs (except for clock speed and TDP of course).

Now, if someone takes a reference 10 series GPU strips the current cooler off and puts a new compact cooler/GPU dock onto it. That would work.

Not to mention that if they were to do a mobile GPU dock with say the older 980M, that would be outrageously expensive.

TheRealJEWbacca

Commendable
Nov 9, 2016

I was just thinking that the form factor that is used for the mobile GPUs, whether it's a desktop sku or not (in the case of current gen "mobile" GPUs) would make for a more portable eGPU that could be used as needed on the go.

I just got the razor blade stealth, it's great, but if I'm going to travel with it and possibly game some time on the road, or at a friends place, lugging around the razor core seems to contradict the idea of keeping everything portable.

Hopefully we get there. But with how unreliable the GPU docks are today, I think it will be a few years before we get something portable unfortunately.

You should also take into consideration that MXM format GPUs used in certain gaming laptops are not sold directly to the consumers. Therefore, any eGPU dock using a mobile GPU will likely already have a mobile GPU in it... and the the MXM version (think of it as a PCI-e card slot for laptops) will likely not be installed. Instead it would a mobile GPU that is soldered into the board.

Solution

JeffDaemon

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013

Not exactly what you think. The first hurdle is, mobile GPUs are not even available in a standard slot format that you can purchase. They are packaged as daughter boards specific to a series of laptops. So even obtaining them would be difficult. Second, because of their package none of them come with a cooling solution. So it would be up to the eGPU package to have some kind of universal attachable heatsink. Third, don't let the small size fool you, mobile GPUs still suck lots of power, WAAAAY more than a USB port could supply. A 960m is 60 watts.

I think you've missed the main point in laptops such as the Razer Blade Stealth w/external eGPU. The laptop itself has a weak internal GPU to make it lighter and easier on battery life so it can be easily mobile for business or entertainment on the go, but can still be used as a gaming beast at home via the eGPU.

If you wanted a portable laptop meant for gaming on the go, you should probably have invested in one with a powerful internal GPU.

But I do understand your point.