Lotus Smartsuite software

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Holmes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
Please can anyone advise me of how to get Lotus Smartsuite downloaded from the disc I purchased, because from the disc it is trying to download the software to D drive, the same drive where the disc is located, so it is saying obviously there is not enough space, and although it says it will download to C drive, the window for the wizard to install says D drive, and although C and E drive are on the window, I cannot change it, really bizarre. please help.

Ken Holmes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Online I think but it was a while ago, it had been working very well on Windows and even when it changed to Windows 10 last year the software worked fine, although now it will not load up onto the C drive, after PC died and repaired!!, there is no option to change the drive from D, which is the CD drive where Lotus disc was inserted.

Ken Holmes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Yes it is there, good suggestion though. Othwer discs are playable, and the Lotus disc does or is recognised, but when it goes to download it just will not change the drive for download, only gives option to download to D drive, which is where the Lotus disc is, even though C and E drives are there, but you cannot change it.

Ken Holmes

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thanks for your idea, although I did already think of that, but it did not work and I tried again a few minutes ago from your good suggestion and still it was the same result.
Can I advise what happens, please if you do not mind, sorry it is a bit long.
My problem is my computer died and had to have system reinstalled on PC. I had Lotus Smartsuite purchased in 2009 already installed, before Windows 10 and Lotus was OK when I transferred to Windows 10, but now my CD for Lotus will not load up, it is always wanting to install to the D drive, which does not have enough space as it is the drive where the disc is, so obviously no space, and it will not allow me to choose the C drive, although the installer is saying it will load to C/Lotus, where it was originally, before the PC died. Three possible destination, C, D, and E, but it will not let you change the destination to C or E, D is only one highlighted, really crazy. Please can you help, I see Lotus is not being supported any more and cannot therefore get a free download from websites, so I am desperate for this download to work as some very important files were on Lotus and I am not able to access them with no download. HELP. please.

Shoot in the dark:
- Right-click on Start button, "Disk Management"
- Right-click on CD/DVD-ROM drive, "Change drive letter and paths...". Move the drive to eg P: (that is, not D)

You might have to restart. After that, try again to install Lotus. If it still insist installing on (now missing) D:, change drive letter of your E drive to D (again from Disk Management)

glenndavis

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
Whoops! Didn't mean to vote down ... was trying to scroll.

I have the same problem (I think) trying to install SmartSuite 9.5 on a new PC with Windows 10. The problem is that my disk drive is too big. Here's what I tried, but without success.

First, using "Disk Management", which you get to via Control Panel...Administrative Tools...Computer Management...Storage, I created a new 1-gigabyte NTFS partition called F, renamed my E drive to G, renamed the new partition from F to E, and renamed G to F.

Second, I copied the entire installation CD to my new partition, E. Since it looks like a drive, and because it's so small, the installation software will accept E.

Third, during SmartSuite installation from E (which I initiated by double-clicking on Setup.exe using File Explorer), everything seems OK until I reach the "Specify Lotus SmartSuite Folder" dialog box which shows (after clicking on the "Browse" button) a negative number of bytes available on C:, apparently because I have a 2-terabyte hard drive and that's too big a number. So for "Drive" I selected E. I left the folder name \lotus\ and clicked "Next."

Fourth, I deselected everything in the "Select Lotus SmartSuite Applications" dialog box except 1-2-3, and did not change "Drive" or "Folder." Then I clicked "Next."

Fifth, in the "Install Options" dialog box, I clicked "Next" to accept the default features.

Here is where I see the problem. The "Select Program Folder" dialog box will not allow selecting any drive other than C. It's hard-coded, I guess. It won't let you scroll beyond a folder it calls "Programs", and the "Folder Name" field will not accept the colon character.

So I let it create a new folder named Lotus SmartSuite and clicked "Next", and finally clicked "Yes" in the "Begin Copying Files" dialog box.

That brought up the "Output" dialog box with the "DOC+3502: Overflow" message.

The end.

BTW, I also tried the "Custom" installation, which lets you specify 4 drive paths. That didn't work, either. Whatever controls the "Select Program Folder" data still assumes C and makes the assumption that it is where 1-2-3 will be installed.

While I was writing this I figured out (I think) what to do -- just temporarily make the C partition acceptably small using "Disk Management" (formerly known as partition editor).

I think I'll try that now. Let me know whether that works for you of if you have another solution.

OBTW, Don't be afraid to rename drives. Disk management makes it simple.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Tick...tick...tick...an hour or two went by before I posted the following edit)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

THAT WORKED!

All you have to do is make sure your C drive (partition, whatever) look like it has fewer than 2 to the power of 40 bytes. Obviously some part of the installer truncates at 40 bits; that's why the "Specify Lotus SmartSuite Folder" dialog box contained the negative number.

In the end, all I needed to do was to shrink the C partition (to 1,010,424,606 bytes, which is slightly smaller than 2 to the power of 40), so that there is no overflow, and the number in the field is positive. You don't need the E partition after all -- just a temporary reduction in the apparent size of C.

After the install, I extended the C partition back to its previous size, and rechecked to make sure 1-2-3 ran. It did! So I guess 1-2-3 itself doesn't have a 40-bit problem, or if it does, I haven't yet found it.

Of course, part of the solution (or maybe all of it) is to use version 9.8.2, which I understand is the final one.

Nov 22, 2018
I had the same problem. During installation Smartsuite is checking for free space, not drive size. When it finds almost a Terabyte of free space it doesn't know what to do with it because in 1995 the programmers never conceived of a drive that large.
Solution: Fill up the drive to somewhere near full capacity. I found a small freeware utility that allows you to quickly make a file of any size. Use the utility to almost "fill" you drive, Install Lotus, then delete the file. This is a more simple solution than re-partitioning. Sorry, it's been several years so you'll have to Google it yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.