ekumlin

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I just got a Turtle Beach XP Seven headset, and I have it connected my PC as per the instructions:

- USB from computer to ACU
- 9-pin-to-3.5mm cord from headset to bottom middle plug of ACU
- 3.5mm stereo cord from speaker plug to speaker set

When I have the ACU in headset mode, and no sound is coming from the computer, there is a low hum in the headset. (It's there if there's audio as well, but quiet enough to not be a bother.) The buzz also comes from the speakers if I switch the ACU to speaker mode. However, if I connect the headset directly to the computer's headphone jack, there is no buzz (but obviously no mic connection, either).

What causes this buzz/static/fuzz/hum and how can I fix it?

(Computer connected: Alienware M18x R2 with nVidia video card; speaker set is a 5-speaker setup by Logitech.)

Solution

Jeffy14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010

Ask there http://www.turtlebeach.com/forum/
guys from TB will answer. Or you can contact the support.

I have problems with it too. This is such a joke for a $300 headset.....
See my problem:
http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1963531/turtle-beach-problem-usd-plug-sound-dont-buy.html

Solution

ekumlin

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014

I'll check into this, thanks. I do feel like this, as you said, is absurd for a headset priced as such.

Jeffy14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
[/quotemsg]

I'll check into this, thanks. I do feel like this, as you said, is absurd for a headset priced as such.[/quotemsg]

Man, I plugged the headset in my other computer and I noticed the same thing as you did. A low buzz, not very annoying but definitely there. I was trying to watch a movie and I ended up plugging my old stereo Siberia Steels Series headset lol. Also, while trying to watch the movie (Blue Ray quality downloaded in mp4) the sound was very crappy. It was stuttering every few minutes and there was this weird buzz...
I tried different settings but same crap. With the Siberia everything was fine lol
I cannot believe it seriously. I'm gonna return that piece of junk IF I can.
The support is so bad. You wont believe what they answered me. They just dont care. I feel this is a joke.
let me know if you get any answer please.

Jeffy14

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2010
I think this is because your mother board is not powerful enough. It happens in my laptop because of this I guess.
I read that you need to plug the headset directly in your mother board.
Did you try?

ekumlin

Honorable
Jan 2, 2014
I had plugged a 3.5mm cable into the auxiliary port on the ACU (the port meant for smartphone interaction), but it was not connected to anything on the other end. When I removed this cord, the buzz disappeared.

This issue has been solved, but I cannot pick this as the solution (for some weird reason).