Low clock speed processor with SSD or high clock speed processor with HDD?

ian1986

Honorable
Nov 8, 2013
Hello, I'm not very tech savvy with the latest hardware but I was think of buying a refurbished laptop and was wondering which one would better suit my needs: a higher clock speed processor with HDD drive or a lower clock speed processor with SSD drive if price isn't a factor. Here are the specs for the two systems I was looking at:

System 1:
Dell Latitude E5440
64-bit Windows 8.1 Professional
Intel Core i5 (i5-4310U) 2.00 GHz
256 GB SSD drive
Intel HD Graphics 4400

System 2:
Dell Latitude E6440
64-bit Windows 7 Professional
Intel Core i5 (i5-4310M) 2.70 GHz
320 GB HDD drive
AMD Radeon HD 8690M (2 GB)

I browse the web, watch videos, listen to music (prefer high quality recordings), code on MATLAB (the only graphics I usually use are 2D plots, sometimes a 3D plot). I don't game. I would ascribe a medium importance to battery life. I usually use it in my bedroom but from time to time might move around with it. I would appreciate the community's input on this. Also, it would be nice if you could mention the reason for your choice.Thanks.

Solution
There are two differences between those laptops. Other than the SSD vs HDD. The CPU and GPU. There is basically no difference for the CPU.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4310U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4310M

They are both dual core four thread CPUs. They are from the same generation and have the same specs more or less. While the base frequency has a 700MHz difference, if you take turbo into account there is a 400MHz difference between them. Meaning if you keep the laptop cool enough, I honestly doubt you'll notice the difference between the M and U CPU.

There is however a difference in the GPU. Intel 4400 vs AMD 8690M. I'm not sure how they compare and this is something you should look into. You might be better off getting...

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
There are two differences between those laptops. Other than the SSD vs HDD. The CPU and GPU. There is basically no difference for the CPU.

http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i5-4310U-vs-Intel-Core-i5-4310M

They are both dual core four thread CPUs. They are from the same generation and have the same specs more or less. While the base frequency has a 700MHz difference, if you take turbo into account there is a 400MHz difference between them. Meaning if you keep the laptop cool enough, I honestly doubt you'll notice the difference between the M and U CPU.

There is however a difference in the GPU. Intel 4400 vs AMD 8690M. I'm not sure how they compare and this is something you should look into. You might be better off getting the 8690M over the 4400. If gaming is something you care about.

Edit: I just read your final paragraph. In that case the issue I see you having is 256GB vs 320GB. I'd probably get the SSD and get an external HDD.

Solution