Mac v surface for 8th grader?

Chiliglenn

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Ok need a good laptop option for 8th grader...something that will last at least 3-4 yrs pros/cons of mac v surface & how much memory etc ?? Help tech challenged mom

I would advise Mac just because of after sales support (buy AppleCare). 4 gig ram enough for surfing, light office (email, word, spreadsheet), easy gaming.

Am expected a few people jumping into this thread and tell you how much better deal a Surface is, and they would be correct except when something goes wrong with a Windows box, either you have to deal with the geeks at Best Buys or going to the hassle of dealing with your own and since you have to ask this question, I wager you don't want to deal with any issues.

jdcranke07

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Being that I've sold both of these for a while, I wouldn't recommend either. Both have high prices compared to better performing Windows laptops. Apple you pay more for the service than you do the actual computer. Which, by the way, is about 70% Samsung parts. A Surface is just too much for what you get and Microsoft is the only support you will get for them. Best Buy and other store technicians do not have the permissions to work on Surfaces, so they will just send the thing off to Microsoft.

Take into consideration what the child will need the computer for. If it is mostly gaming with some school work, then get a PC with Windows and just benefit from the lower price tag, since you plan to replace the laptop after about 4 years. If the child plans to use the laptop more for school and design and not so much for gaming, then go with the MacBook. Stay away from the Surface and stay with the 13" models for MacBooks. Another thing to consider is that Apple keeps their laptops in the same price range roughly since they want to base purchases off utility more than cost. Do not just get sucked into the fandom of sheeple. Please pick which is best for the situation and not just a label. Also, I hate to tell parents how to raise their children, but be realistic about what the child will do. If you get a laptop that doesn't meet their needs, they will hate it and more than likely not use it much. I've seen too many college and high school students do this because parents want to make them focus on school. Trust me it doesn't work.

Chiliglenn

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Thank you so much for quick response and yes I want low maintenance after the purchase. Any other thoughts on purchasing mac what bells and whistles to get etc. Looking for reasonable cost. Thank you again for help

quotemsg=18923314,0,1687658]I would advise Mac just because of after sales support (buy AppleCare). 4 gig ram enough for surfing, light office (email, word, spreadsheet), easy gaming.

Am expected a few people jumping into this thread and tell you how much better deal a Surface is, and they would be correct except when something goes wrong with a Windows box, either you have to deal with the geeks at Best Buys or going to the hassle of dealing with your own and since you have to ask this question, I wager you don't want to deal with any issues.[/quotemsg]

For an 8 years old I'd think a nice Macbook Air 11" or 13", not the Macbook Pro, can be had under $1,000. Buying from Apple.com directly, refurb is your best buy, add AppleCare which is Apple after support program, any issues, just make an appointment to a store nearby and they will take care of you without forcing you to understand arcane computer lingos. For a child, I'd ask whether AppleCare includes accidental damage (kids will be careless), I honestly don't know the latest what AppleCare covers.

Bell&Whistles you can add later, except RAM size and storage size, once bought cannot be upgraded, and this is based on you knowledge of what your child is going to use it for.

jdcranke07

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

AppleCare does not include accidental damage, disaster damage, or liquid damage of any type. It is literally a manufacturer warranty. Meaning that nothing will be replaced under it unless it is deemed to be Apple's fault.

MagicManRob

Commendable
Apr 19, 2016
Howdy Madam!
Apple is a company that makes beautiful hardware, but falls short on delivering compatibility with their software. This probably does not matter for school assignments or homework, but its something to keep in mind. For durability and reliability, I think the Mac is more trustworthy. Also, the surface does not come with a keyboard unless you opt for the surface Book or purchase a fabric keyboard. A computer nowadays especially if it should last for four years needs at least 8 gigs of ram, i5/i7, and a solid state drive. A new macbook pro would be fantastic although it is spendy or for less the macbook Air is good. Do not opt for the plain Mac Book. It comes with essentially a phone processor. I hope this helps.

My favorite laptop as of now: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/hp-spectre-x360-2-in-1-15-6-4k-ultra-hd-touch-screen-laptop-intel-core-i7-16gb-memory-256gb-solid-state-drive-natural-silver/4864800.p?skuId=4864800

Chiliglenn

Commendable
Nov 26, 2016
Last add on & I appreciate all feed back-THANK YOU! Thoughts on refurbished?

jdcranke07

Estimable
Feb 10, 2014

Getting refurbished is sometimes a gamble. If it is from the actual manufacturer, then you should be fine. If it is refurbished through a 3rd party, then don't do it. This will doubly apply to Apple. Apple does not sell refurbs and does not allow for anyone to sell refurbs or even returned computers. If you find one, then it will have no warranties and Apple will say, "tough luck".