MacBook Air vs surface pro - medical student/residency

Lizard521

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017
My MacBook Pro (from 2010...) is about to bite the dust and I'm debating what to get next. I'd like something light and fast because I'll probably be carrying it around the hospital for the next few years but I also need to be able to take notes during a few weekly lectures.

I'm leaning towards the surface but I've really liked my MacBook Pro and my backup disk is Mac specific so I don't think I'd be able to move any of my stuff over but I'm not really sure? Plus i'm so used to the Mac interface.

Thanks for any/all advice! And I'm open to other models too - I just need something sturdy that will last me at least 4-6 years. This mac has lasted 7 and if it wasn't so f-ing heavy I'd just get it a new ssd hard drive.

Solution
stay using Mac ... you dont want to fall into the hardware problems and virus infections while you are busy ...

and Get the MacbookPro , not the Macbook Air. the Air has outdated screen , not IPS , and low resolution by today standards. and it it uses slower CPU as well . and lacks faster usb 3.1 Gen 2 as well.

The new macbookPro is 3 pounds (1.3kg), while the Macbook Air is 2.96 pounds .. so they are the same weight !!!

Make sure you pick the latest Model of Macbook pro , Avoid the Air.

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017
stay using Mac ... you dont want to fall into the hardware problems and virus infections while you are busy ...

and Get the MacbookPro , not the Macbook Air. the Air has outdated screen , not IPS , and low resolution by today standards. and it it uses slower CPU as well . and lacks faster usb 3.1 Gen 2 as well.

The new macbookPro is 3 pounds (1.3kg), while the Macbook Air is 2.96 pounds .. so they are the same weight !!!

Make sure you pick the latest Model of Macbook pro , Avoid the Air.

Solution

Lizard521

Prominent
Apr 12, 2017

why_wolf

Estimable
Aug 28, 2015
First I would figure out you're using your device as a laptop (as in actually on your lap) all the time or on a desk or in a completely mobile tablet fashion.

If its on your lap all the time then I'd stick with a laptop. If its any of the other two than the Surface Pro 3/4 (5 is coming soonish) is a viable option if you want.

Side note the pen feature on the Pro is nice, really wish it had been around when I was in school.

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013
I would suggest sticking with the Mac, if only for familiarity and fitting in with you existing hardware ecosystem. Otherwise the Surface is a viable alternative, perhaps the Surface Book, the Dell XPS 13 is also a decent choice. It's actually quite hard to go wrong in this price bracket and most of these machines are cost comparable with comparable specs.

Viruses? Really? FYI no one is safe these days...don't click random ****.

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

I am both a MAC user and a PC user . and you are mistaken ... I dont even have anti Virus on my MAC .... and it is not about clicking random links alone.

Mac hardware is as likely to fail as quality PC hardware. Let's compare it to Microsoft, not to some Walmart stuff.

I don't even run antivirus on my PC, and never got infected. Yes, it's easier to get infected on PC than on Mac, but Mac infections are not that rare either.

If OP decides to go Mac route - MB is not the best note-taking (portable) device. Not unless Apple decides to make it with touch-screen, not the stupid touch-bar.

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

I am not talking about hardware failure .. I am talking about plug and forget ... and compatibility problems between different hardware in the PC world.

you will never imagine how much time you will save when you use a MAC instead of a PC ..

I only use PC for gaming by the way ... everything Else I do it on MAC.

and you do use Anti Virus on your PC , Windows 10 comes with windows defender. and I doubt that you never got infected ...

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

no flames here ...

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

I also run both, the notion of "virus's and shoddy hardware" died last decade. Spend the money get the quality, and ANYONE who knows ANYTHING about security and malware would heartily encourage safe browsing habits. Seriously read up on some of the state sponsored malware and other sh*t out in the wild, you may even be infected and not even know it...

Tech_TTT

Prominent
Apr 4, 2017

Not really , Macs are still safer and more secured than any windows machine . it is not about spending money , it is about Windows Vs OSX/MacOS ..

And again , hardware wise , I am not talking about "Quality" I am talking about plug and forget concept , and setting up hardware to work together.

And MS needs another 20 years to make online OS installation like Apple has been doing for like 10 years now ... even if you lose your recovery partition and need to use an empty drive , all what you need is internet connection , boot and it will install the OS online ... no HELP , no WELP , no My image file does not work , no legacy VS UEFI bios problems , no 20 drivers download , plug it and forget it and you will end up with updated latest OS installed online with all drivers installed.

Can you do this with any Windows machine ? not in 20 years ! , true they have now recovery partition on their Notebooks , but it is an OLD recovery partition , try recovery After one or two years and see the mess ... updating forever loops ! and disgusting restarts ...

and If the Drive or SSD is broken and recovery partition lost? good luck you will need, Internet connection , ANOTHER PC to download windows image and a FLASH USB around ,you will need to download the drivers , and then after installing the System , the driver installation will make you pull your hair.

Bloatware ? most windows Notebooks come with bloatware as well ... and the recovery will install them AGAIN !!!

as for state sponsored spying on our PC ? there is no security against it , forget it . unless you make your own operating system from the ground up .

I am pretty sure Linus Torvalds is one of the few guys on the planet the government cant spy on :)