Solved! Macbook Pro 15 (high end) vs Dell Studio XPS 16

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
I'm planning on buying either of these within the next half to 3/4 of a year. Any updates coming to either one? Which one should i get? Are there any other laptops you suggest?

Thanks
Nibuoy

Fill out the FAQ at the top of the "General Laptops and Notebooks" section so we can better help you: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/50797-35-read-buying-laptop

edit: For your actual question. The XPS 16 just got the new i7 laptop CPUs and I doubt they will update the GPU in that laptop, so I don't foresee any changes. With the Macbook, I'm not sure if they are going to update the Core2Duos in that system or if they are planning and using the newer GT series from NVidia instead of the 9600m GT, so I can't really say for certain.

nibuoy

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
whoops
forgot that

1_What is your budget? 1000-2000

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? 15-16

3_What screen resolution do you want? 1080p, but i can cope with lower

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? A desktop replacement. I only need some portability

5_How much battery life do you need? At least 4 hours

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? Yes. Call of Duty, Assassin's creed, etc. on medium/high

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) word, internet, gaming, some movie watching, and maybe photography.

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need? over 300gb

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post the links to them. Amazon or the company's website

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop? At least 4 years

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? Regular, although Blu Ray would be nice

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Don't care

13_What country do you live in? USA

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed. Nothing

Solution

With gaming? A lot. Take a look: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

With apps, it depends if they can take advantage of multiple cores. 2 of the 4 laptops I linked come with i7 processors which will outperform the Core2's in multi-threaded apps. Otherwise, they will probably be pretty similar.