Solved! Macbook Pro Mid-2012 Bottom Ram Slot - Beeping

Jan 20, 2019
Hey guys,

I have a Macbook Pro Mid 2012 and it looks like the bottom ram slot stopped working. In order to get the Macbook Pro to stop crashing I had to take the ram out of the bottom slot. I was previously running 2x4gb rams and I've just recently upgraded to 1x8gb Ram. I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to fix the bottom slot? I recently bought 2 new sticks of ram (8gb's) and whenever I put a stick into the bottom one, the macbook starts beeping on start up.

Any advice?

TLDR: Putting Ram in Bottom Ram Slot --> Macbook Mid 2012 beeps on start up --> Fix?

Solution
Try just the one RAM module you know works in the other slot. Just to be sure (make sure it is properly seated). The only repair would be replacing the motherboard. Which would be ridiculously expensive (especially through Apple) for a computer that old. You'll just waste money having it diagnosed.

The most reasonable options I see are
- You can just live with it having 1x8GB.
- Sell it and get a newer used MacBook Pro. Even dead Macs get impressive prices. It's so old I wouldn't expect too much for it. Just be sure to sell for parts or repair not used on eBay. The cost difference between what you get for it and what a used MBP 2013/2014 go for is likely less than a motherboard replacement at a shop. Just be aware you cannot upgrade...

jigneshpadhiyar

Prominent
Dec 10, 2018
It is primarily the hardware issue and almost impossible to fix it yourself. Either you need to take it to Apple or get it checked by some hardware repair shop. First option is highly recommended.

Try just the one RAM module you know works in the other slot. Just to be sure (make sure it is properly seated). The only repair would be replacing the motherboard. Which would be ridiculously expensive (especially through Apple) for a computer that old. You'll just waste money having it diagnosed.

The most reasonable options I see are
- You can just live with it having 1x8GB.
- Sell it and get a newer used MacBook Pro. Even dead Macs get impressive prices. It's so old I wouldn't expect too much for it. Just be sure to sell for parts or repair not used on eBay. The cost difference between what you get for it and what a used MBP 2013/2014 go for is likely less than a motherboard replacement at a shop. Just be aware you cannot upgrade the newer models. So, find one with the specs you want.
- Buy a used motherboard for your model off eBay from a reputable seller. Get the proper tools. Then follow an iFixit guide for your model to replace the motherboard yourself. You may even get a few bucks selling your old motherboard for parts or repair only on eBay.
- Buy the same model fully functioning off eBay used. Swap the RAM and HDD/SSD. Sell yours for parts or repair.
- Start thinking about getting a new laptop. Again none of the Macbooks can be upgraded later so build to order to your expected needs for the next five or six years.

Solution