Macbook Pro vs Dell Inspiron 15 7000

Feb 20, 2018
Hi all,

interested in buying a new machine and split between two: Dell Inspiron 15 7000 (i7-8550 U, 512GB PCle NVME SSD, 16GB DDR4, 15.6-inch Ultra HD (3840 x 2160) IPS Display, NV GeForce 940MX 4GB GDDR5) at £1.4K or the Macbook Pro (i7 7th gen, 16GB 2133MHz LPDDR3, 15 inch Retina display, Radeon Pro 560 with 4GB) at. £2.7K.

You'd think it's an easy choice, I do have a few concerns. Personally have been a Windows user so far, have had to use Apple products at work and I'm quite happy with the OS experience. My concern is that from windows machines you can expect a good 4-5 years of good use before the software starts making usage cumbersome, while with Macs the life seems to expand to about 7 years. Is this the case?

In terms of what the machine will be used for, this will be for standard home use (browsing. movies, a bit of video editing, gaming (WoW primarily) ).

Is overall user experience worth over £1K ($1.4K) more?

Solution
As someone else told me before, it’s really about the ecosystem you’ve chosen. If you have an iPhone and/or iPad, it may be best to go with the macbook, simply because going from device to device, it makes many things smoother and more convenient for you...and vice versa. Taking that out of the equation, it is definitely something you hear about often, Apple products lasting longer than pcs. Apple MacBooks primarily usd aluminum as a main material while pcs can vary, but decent laptops also use a metal of sorts for the body, assuming you’re not cheaping out on it, but this Pc is decent enough. Just having a minimalistic antivirus and a small amount of maintenance here and there to keep the surfaces clean can make the difference between...

jgustin7b

Prominent
Nov 17, 2017
As someone else told me before, it’s really about the ecosystem you’ve chosen. If you have an iPhone and/or iPad, it may be best to go with the macbook, simply because going from device to device, it makes many things smoother and more convenient for you...and vice versa. Taking that out of the equation, it is definitely something you hear about often, Apple products lasting longer than pcs. Apple MacBooks primarily usd aluminum as a main material while pcs can vary, but decent laptops also use a metal of sorts for the body, assuming you’re not cheaping out on it, but this Pc is decent enough. Just having a minimalistic antivirus and a small amount of maintenance here and there to keep the surfaces clean can make the difference between a pcs early death and a long lasting life. I’d take the windows Pc.

Solution