Macbook upgrade - can I simply swap my old hard drive into new machine?

samlky

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I have a mid-2010 Macbook Pro. I've done the disc-drive to 2nd hard drive swap out. I have the latest version of Mavericks installed on an SSD mounted in the disc-drive bay and a 1TB data drive mounted in the usual hard drive bay.

I'll soon be upgrading to the latest version of Macbook Pro (non-Retina).

My question is, will I be able to simply install the two hard drives in the new Macbook and boot up? Are there any disadvantages to doing this?

Solution
Hey there, samlky!

I don't think it's actually going to work. Even if it's still a MacBook, the models are different. It's highly unlikely to boot but if it does, you will surely have problems with the hardware components and drivers. Since both computers are using different hardware, i.e. processor, video graphics, RAM, etc., there is a very slim chance the swapping of the drive would work.
Not to mention the fact that you are swapping from an almost 5-year-old machine to a new one, a lot has changed in the past 5 year in the computer technologies.
Better backup your SSD and HDD to an external drive and once you have the new MacBook simply transfer all the data you need but a fresh install of the OS X is essential.
Even if you want...

w_andrew

Estimable
Jan 21, 2015
I don’t think so about facing any problem. All is about cost vs. performance. Please have a backup copy of drives in advance before initiating his process.

SuperSoph_WD

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
Hey there, samlky!

I don't think it's actually going to work. Even if it's still a MacBook, the models are different. It's highly unlikely to boot but if it does, you will surely have problems with the hardware components and drivers. Since both computers are using different hardware, i.e. processor, video graphics, RAM, etc., there is a very slim chance the swapping of the drive would work.
Not to mention the fact that you are swapping from an almost 5-year-old machine to a new one, a lot has changed in the past 5 year in the computer technologies.
Better backup your SSD and HDD to an external drive and once you have the new MacBook simply transfer all the data you need but a fresh install of the OS X is essential.
Even if you want to use your current SSD on your new MacBook, you'd need to reformat it and perform a clean install.

Hope I helped! Good luck! :)
SuperSoph_WD

Solution